Ever been ICE RACING in your TDI??

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
That is exactly what I did this past weekend! What a GREAT time; the first time in my TDI. The event is put on by the Boston chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. I went a few times when I had my 1989 325i. The event is held at Newfound Lake in Bristol, New Hampshire, sometimes as an alternate at Stinson Lake in Rumney, NH. The Boston BMWCCA are a great bunch of people. This is such a fun event and is open to BMWCCA and non-BMWCCA members alike. It is a VERY controlled, well run event. The emphasis is on safety and control. If you are interested in this type of event, take a look at Boston BMWCCA's Ice Racing webpage. Here are some pics from the event:
My little Golf TDI

The parking area on the ice

An E36 M3 taking a corner on the ice

MileageDude

Veteran Member

The answer is absolutely YES! and matter of fact just last week.

This photo above is on the Merritt Parkway near NY in CT and at exit 47 the melted snow from the day's high of 40 degrees froze by 21h00. Out of the blue a half mile of highway was pure glare ice ...

Can you say?

Spin

errrr....

LOL

M.D.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Being that this is the first front wheel drive car I have ever owned, I wasn't sure how it would handle. I am used to rear drive! I did OK though. I do have ESP on my vehicle but after a few runs with it on, I turned it off. Driving on solid ice, the ESP kills all power. ESP is AWESOME around turns on snow though! As to studded tyres: Yes, some use them but, the majority do not. Some people even use all season tyres. They don't do too well though. The races are divided into separate classes by whether or not you have FWD, RWD, AWD and the type of tyres you are running!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Sounds slow. Do you round the corners at like 15 mph?

How fast do you get going out there? I havent spent much time driving on ice, but when I did, it was always slow.

Just seems like there would be a lot of peeling out, sliding out, and not a lot of techy driving...(Unlike here in the rain, in the Duramax...) /images/graemlins/cool.gif