Please advise me

tdihu

I, AFTER A LONG SEARCH FOUND A 02 JETTA GLS WAGON, 5 SPEED, TDI, 32000 MILES, 1OWNER, WELL MAINTAINED CAR. I AM IN CALIFORNIA, THE CAR IS IN MINNESOTA. WHAT SHOULD I BE AWARE OF BEFORE I MAKE A FINAL ATTEMPT TO TALK ABOUT PRICES, THEY ARE ASKING $15995, AND IT IS A DEALERSHIP. WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST CONCERNS OF BUYING IT WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT. I SAW MANY PICTURES IT LOOKS GOOD, CLEAN, IN A GOOD CONDITION.
ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU, DAVID AT TDIHU

BratscheMan

Veteran Member
TDI
none at present
First of all, David...DON'T SHOUT! We hear 'ya...

Fairly high miles for a 2002, but I think that is reflected in the price, which seems quite reasonable. I would run a Carfax report on it, to see if there are any reported accidents, or how the car was used as a conveyance (part of a fleet? leased vehicle?). I would make any offer contingent upon an inspection...have a professional body shop check it out. Make sure all maintenance was done on schedule...that should be easily verifiable through computer records, and perhaps the dealership actually stamped the booklet!
Use of synthetic oil is always a plus, although that may be tougher to find out. Some dealerships will furnish you with the name and phone number of the original owner (that happened with me before I bought my TDI), and that can go a long way toward anxiety relief!

Let us know how your search progresses...

tdihu

I got so excited that I went and test drove a 03 wagon, first time in the states.(9 o clock at night, they went and brought one out we were out for 20 minutes, can you beleive it that they are open at that time) It handled very vell, acceleration was impressive after turbo kicked in, seats are too firm for my taste, but overall a nice car.
I asked it was a privatly owned vehicle, carfax said it had no accidents, was brought in for service to the same dealer, and become a trade in for a newer one.
Thank you for your help, I need to sleep on it for couple of nights,
TDIHU