Airbag indicator system light stays illuminated

MSHaas

TDI
2014 Jetta
I have a 2014 Jetta TDI with 33,000 miles. Last night I noticed the airbag indicator system light stays illuminated while driving. Has anyone had this problem? Any idea what it might be? Anyone aware of a recall that might pertain to this?

Thanks!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You don't have a chance to get this cleared up until you buy a VCDS or find someone who will tell you what is going on. You can always go to a dealer to have the car scanned, but they charge enough that you can buy a VCDS for the price of 2 dealer scans. Pays for itself rather quickly, no? The VCDS can then clear the code, after you figure out which airbag is 'faulty'. I put it in quotes because 99% of the time, it is merely unplugging and plugging the correct plugs a few times, and that will clear the resistance problem that set off the DTC.

Since an airbag problem is a major safety issue, it won't clear by itself. The error code MUST be cleared by the dealer or a VCDS tool. Probably the generic tools in FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) can do it as well, but VCDS will do it for sure. And many FLAPS won't clear codes anymore. They'll read them, but won't clear them.

Cheers,

PH