Tire pressure sensors

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Have a 2009 Jetta Tdi, 102k. Just got a tread pattern on the cel section of the gauge cluster. Yesterday, I bought it and said low pressure and the dealership put 33 lbs all around. Drove it around and the tire tread pattern showed up. Owners manual said no communication between sensor and computer. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Ernie in
Louisville, Ky

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Is the tpms light flashing or solid?

If its flashing you might have a bad sensor.

Most vw's require the air to be set much higher than the placard pressure in order to cause the light to turn off. I set them to 40 and they typically go off. Then you can drop the pressures to your preference.

A flashing light indicates a tpms malfunction.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
33lbs will not turn off the light.

I believe it needs a minimum of 36 to turn it off.

I usually run mine at 42 for best fuel economy.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
The light should turn off above something like 24psi.

The light is only there to indicate a low tire.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Fixed?

Got in the 2009 tdi Jetta and drove to the bard and the light went off. I checked the TP and all were 33 lbs. I put all tires at 35 lbs. I did notice I have the pressure sensors in each wheel. 17" by the way with new Goodyear Eagles Z rated tires, all-weather. The ride is a little firm but I have a 1999 Merz E300TD to compare it to!

smyb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT, 2009 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P), 2011 Sportwagen TDI 6MT
I noticed in my 2009 TDI it took a while for the tire pressure light to go off- maybe 10 miles of driving or so? Not like the 2010+ that have a pushbutton reset in the glove box. So all seems normal in your case.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
not better

I put bubble solution on the stem of a tire that was losing air. Bubbles coming from around the stem. I tightened the valve assembly and now the tire isn't losing air but went I start out the dash warning light flashes for a while and then remains solid. I don't know if it is a sensor or something else.