advise please

alexpart

TDI
golf mk5 1.9 tdi 54reg bkc engine (PD)
Hi guys...

New to this, i have a golf 1.9 tdi bkc engine and live in UK,

Im a novice at cars...i can do exhaust, brakes n stuff, but not much with engines.

Its happend twice now..at idle, could be stood still or free running, the car will noticabley shake and theres a loud noise from engine.

Noise is like something is catching from the back and bottom of engine, a knocking noise, like the flywheel catching on something.

Increase revs no issues.

Turn the engine off and back on, no issue!

Doesn't do it all the time, can be days before it does it again

Any ideas?

Cheers
Alex

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
No idea if the UK Golf's have the DMF issues or not, but it sure sounds like the flywheel is going.

More details on the noise might be helpful.

Hi guys...

New to this, i have a golf 1.9 tdi bkc engine and live in UK,

Im a novice at cars...i can do exhaust, brakes n stuff, but not much with engines.

Its happend twice now..at idle, could be stood still or free running, the car will noticabley shake and theres a loud noise from engine.

Noise is like something is catching from the back and bottom of engine, a knocking noise, like the flywheel catching on something.

Increase revs no issues.

Turn the engine off and back on, no issue!

Doesn't do it all the time, can be days before it does it again

Any ideas?

Cheers
Alex

AD5GB

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (Pkg 1)
Flywheel was my first thought too. But like theinternot, I know nothing about VWs in the UK. I assume all the parts are sourced from the same place but we know what assumptions sometimes lead to. ;) When my flywheel started making noise it was very similar to your description. A random non-rhythmic at idle.... not always present. Pulled the car up on ramps, pulled the shield off and started it up. It was plainly obvious where it was coming from and with the reputation of DMF failures on these cars, out it came.