MIL light came on tonight. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

speedR

Veteran Member
So I go outside to start the car after it's been sitting for a 1/2 hour, and to my suprise when I am about to take off the MIL light comes on.
Any Idea what could be the problem. I checked the manual and the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) says it is an emmision ralated malfunction. Catalytic converter maybe?

Is a sensor clogged?

[ June 13, 2002, 21:40: Message edited by: speedR ]

BigAl

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 99.5, Green
If you have an A4, it is only your local dealer trying to drum up more revenue. I suspect they transmit via satellite error codes when the "green fees" go up or collage tuition is due. Realistically, if it is a minor glitch, just after a few start/stop cycles, the light will go out. I found if you drive over 40 mph and under no load, you can turn the ignition off and on while driving. Give the car one minute and do it again. After about 3 to 4 cycles and no more real errors, the light will reset. However!, if it is like my VW, learn to either love that little CEL light or love to make your dealer very rich!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I just went there and look what I found on the first page:

henryp
Veteran Member
Member # 862

posted October 19, 2000 13:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the VAG-COM software, Uwe's interface cable and appropriate notebook computer to hook everything up and scan anywhere.
I will be glad to assist forum members in the Toronto, Ontario area.

henryp

His email address is henryp@ca.inter.net