Loss of power at 2k rpm

pasta_rocket

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
This is going to be a quite long diatriabe, but please bear with me.

EDIT FOR CONTENT:
I DID change the MAF sensor on Saturday, maybe a bad change (I did it), but I guess it should have affected my drive a bit earlier isn't it? I mean I put at least 200km since...

Also, the car is a Passat 2005, TDI, PD Engine, Automatic.

Premise:
For the last 2 tanks, I have been using Flying J. Car worked fine, no actual power loss (according to the buttdyno:) ).
Today, I was on the red, maybe 20km left on the tank.
I went to Shell (I am getting paid Friday :D) and put Ultra in. Up to the brim. About 57L.

Got out of the station, went to the light and BAM: the car had no pickup over 2K RPM, and just couldn't change the gears.

Wet myself, went into a panic attack, meal was a complete disaster.

Turned her back on, looked for something loose at the Turbo, nothing visible.

Now, interesting enough, the car "feels" a bit better (again, according to the buttdyno) but something is missing.

Now, any ideas? Am I Agent Paranoia here? I mean, I have this small little issues with her, no blinking light for no apparent reason, the spray nozzles are giving me again grief, but hell, this is NO fun :(

Last edited:

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
automatic?
Bad Maf?
Limp Mode Scenario?
Bad Fuel???

Not sure what you mean by no blinking lights and spray nozzles
______
i'd offer to scan your car however i do not have the HEXCAN vag-com cable mine is still KEY USB for the older K-Line series.

pasta_rocket

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
MAF Sensor - Changed Saturday, put 200km since. No problems.

Bad diesel??? I mean, damnit it's Shell Ultra :mad:

IGNORANT: what is limp mode?

Oh, and no Check Engine light.

(I have no turn signals, previous post and I have some issues with the winshiels watter sprays. Told you guys is a rant somewhere in there...)

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
If you JUST changed the maf - start there, make sure its connected properly and that everythings installed right.

Limp mode is when the ECU see's too much boost or not enough over a given amount of time and then dissables the turbo altogether. Result is complete loss of power. The power returns after the car is cycled off and then back on.

pasta_rocket

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Well, not JUST :( as I said 200km.

But yeah, I will look over, I don't really "trust" myself :(

[Edit for Ignorant content]
What about this limp mode - what can cause it?
Found out - The Search engine is your friend. Thinking ahead would help though :(

OmegaRenegade said:
If you JUST changed the maf - start there, make sure its connected properly and that everythings installed right.

Limp mode is when the ECU see's too much boost or not enough over a given amount of time and then dissables the turbo altogether. Result is complete loss of power. The power returns after the car is cycled off and then back on.

Last edited:

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
You may have gotten a bad maf...unusual, I would try disconnecting it, and see if the car feels better. A bad maf does not always throw a CEL.

With the maf disconnected, it reverts to a baseline fuel schedule. Less power than a healthy maf, but, better than a pooched one. Get the car scanned if you can, just to see if anything is hiding in the background.

Craig

pasta_rocket

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Well, Brandon was busy.

I took off the MAF, rechecked it (I thought I might have installed it backwards :eek: - but I didn't, this time) , put everything back, took her for a spin, it seems the car works, for better or for worse, I am still Agent Paranoia, but... That's me.

I hope this was some bad fuel, or maybe I didn't put the MAF sensor correctly in the first time. These things DO freak me out though, I like the car :(

Keep you guys posted.