Battery light came on and car is not charging.

Ironforger

Veteran Member
Hello, 1999 Beetle TDI approx 100,000 miles. Today the battery light came on, so I checked it with a volt meeter, approx 12.14 volts at idle. Turn off the car, battery then shows 12.75 volts.

Bottom line, It's not charging and shows more juice when engine off since no current is drawn.

Should I first check/troubleshoot the voltage regulator? If so, how do I test it? Then how do I also check the alternator?

Thanks!:confused:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
You can and should check the wires to the batter and alternator. Check both ends of each wire to assure it is making good contact.

Sorry but I am not familiar enough with the current VW alternators to off advice on how to check them.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
As with most modern vehicles, the voltage regulator is inside the alternator.

Check the external electrical connections first. If no problems are found, find a local starter-and-alternator auto electric shop and get them to first troubleshoot and then rebuild the alternator. It shouldn't cost much to have new brushes and bearings put in, and a new voltage regulator if it needs one.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'll second finding an alternator shop. Autozone lists 3 different alternators, all with a price of 420$ :eek:

JP