Synchro and turbo issuesz

megchev42

TDI
1999 VW Jetta MK4
Hi all!
First time poster.

To start. I love my car ('99 VW Jetta TDI mkIV-208,000 miles).
I really want it to go forever and I know it will if I am willing to put the money in.

I have owned the car for 4 years and bought it from a friend who takes incredible care of his vehicles. However, the original owner did some tinkering. He removed the catolitic converter, egr block, "cold" air intake, aftermarket fuel pump, etc.

My turbo has not been giving me much of anything lately. It peaks at about 7psi (so says a crappy aftermarket guage), but I feel no turbo lag (or all lag for that matter). My car is too loud to hear any spooling. Is this a very important issue to fix asap? Is it bad for my engine to let it go for a while? It is throwing and egr code which is strange since it's blocked (previous owner) and the light has never come one in the past 3 years.

The reason I want to wait is because I think I have a tranny problem. It has always had difficulty going into first and reverse, but lately, every once and a while, it will grind going into first even with the clutch all the way in (I'm not having any slipping-i think clutch is fine). Pumping clutch does not help. I'm thinking my synchros are worn.

Is this really bad for my transmission to drive like this? How much could I expect to pay to get my synchros repaired?

Also, I downshift, and I am worried that is why my synchros are getting worn. Any tips for the future to prevent this?

Thanks so much everyone!
I'm new to all this car stuff, so go easy on me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You need to do a little homework to isolate the turbo problem. Low boost can be caused by a lot of things. Look at this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589 Even if your car isn't going into limp mode the diagnostic and repair info applies.

Regarding the grinding, if the flywheel and clutch on your car are original, I bet they're worn out. The flywheels come apart with age, and at 208K miles, yours is due. I'd replace it sooner rather than later to avoid damaging your transmission. And if your clutch is working well downshifting isn't a problem. I do it all the time.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Well, the 'cold air' mod is problematic if there is an oiled gauze or foam air filter.
That messes up the MAF (the first thing after the air filter) which causes limp mode.
Then if the airbox is gone, the vacuum vent hose has no place to get filtered air so
that dirt can enter the vacuum system that controls the turbo which can cause limp.

megchev42

TDI
1999 VW Jetta MK4
Thanks so much guys!
The turbo page was super helpful. I'm really hoping it's just a bad MAF. When my turbo would lose power in the past, all I had to do was spray with MAF cleaner and it would be good as new. Not this time. So I should just take it out and see if my turbo kicks on without it?

Also, yeah, this filter :rolleyes: I am not sure what it is. It feels like screen you would put in your window but firmer (with the typical blunted cone shape of an aftermarket filter). You will really have to forgive my lack of knowledge here. No branding or anything. Also, do I really have to oil this thing after I clean it?

For the synchros, does anyone know if it is bad to drive with them worn?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The only time the syncros are used is when engaging into gear. Once gear engagement is achieved, the syncro has done its job.

You might ought to change the transmission oil (fluid as some call it) unless you have documentation of a recent change(s).

I'd dump that COLD air thingy... The best "cold" are system is the original air filter box. It has a snorkel that picks up air from outside the engine bay. Engine bay air gets HOT............. go to a junk yard and find all those missing parts.

megchev42

TDI
1999 VW Jetta MK4
@Andybees,

I couldn't agree more. I would never put one on my vehicle. A u-pull run is not a bad idea! I also am going to check out the tranny oil!

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Could adjusting the shifter cables help? I'm guessing you have an "02J" transmission with "02A" shifter cables because it is a 1999. Or if the PO liked to tinker then they may be the newer, easier to adjust 02J style cables. If you like to tinker and are going to the u-pull you could change it over yourself.