Cone Seat Lugs-where to buy?

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Need some longer cone seat lugs for my aftermarket wheels so I can run spacers. Where do you guys get your cone lugs (need different lengths)

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 6spd, 2010, Blue
Picked some up at Discount Tire for a set of Oettinger rims i recently purchased. They had them in stock.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't seem to find anything on tire rack. When I search for lug only 2 hits show up. I would think there would be a whole section on them?

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered from 42 Draft Design. 45mm long cone seat lugs, qty 10 $27.50 shipped. They make good products (including home made wheel adaptors) so I would hope they would sell good lugs.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
The threads on the 42 DD lugs get rusty and make them a bear to take off once or twice a year when swapping wheels.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
The threads on the 42 DD lugs get rusty and make them a bear to take off once or twice a year when swapping wheels.
I spray lugs and hubs with anti corrosion battery terminal spray. I doubt that it has much lubricity and it is still present at next rotation. No sticking of wheels to hubs or corroded lugs. Works for me FWIW.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Do you guys seriously think just because you are paying 3-4 dollars per lug bolt that they are better.
The Chinese build literally millions of cars and all use Chinese lug bolts!

I just want to add to this, that the Chinese build Audi, BMW, Mercedes cars in China and all use Chinese bolts !

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I know some people say it's a bad idea to put anti-seize on the threads, but if you put a light coating on the lug bolt or stud you will be just fine IMO and don't have to worry about your lug bolts backing out if they're tightened properly. I even put a light coating on the hub centric part, since those matting surfaces would corrode together and make it a PITA to get the wheels off even after the lug bolts were removed.

When I first got my Jetta, I couldn't get the wheels off with the lug bolts completely removed, so I tried kicking the wheel to no avail. Then my roommate had a sledge hammer, so I tried carefully to hit the tire in hopes of breaking it loose and that didn't work either. After thinking of how I could get the tires off, since I could pretty much guarantee that the other 3 were going to be just as difficult, I put the lug bolts back in half way on the one I was working and went to the other 3 and reversed the lug bolts about half way on them too. I then slowly backed the car out of his shop until I felt all the wheels wobbling from them finally breaking loose from the weight of the car. After that experience I always put a light coating on the hub centric part of the hub.

I spray lugs and hubs with anti corrosion battery terminal spray. I doubt that it has much lubricity and it is still present at next rotation. No sticking of wheels to hubs or corroded lugs. Works for me FWIW.
Do you guys seriously think just because you are paying 3-4 dollars per lug bolt that they are better.
The Chinese build literally millions of cars and all use Chinese lug bolts!

I just want to add to this, that the Chinese build Audi, BMW, Mercedes cars in China and all use Chinese bolts !
You guys could always step up and use titanium lug bolts ;) you'll never have to worry about rusty lug bolts again. :p
Factory ball seat.
Blue
https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/ti64-elementek-titanium-lug-bolt-blue-20pcs-14x150-14r-ball-28mm/
Silver
https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/ti64-elementek-titanium-lug-bolt-20pcs-14x150-14r-ball-28mm/

Most aftermarket wheels use a cone seat.
Blue
https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/ti64-elementek-titanium-lug-bolt-blue-20pcs-14x150-60-deg-28mm/
Silver
https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/ti64-elementek-titanium-lug-bolt-20pcs-14x150-60-deg-28mm/