Where to buy Turbo Vane/Control Ring Kit

AceTdi

TDI
Golf ALH
Does anyone sell a kit with just the vanes, control ring, spacers, etc?

I know the turbo internal cartridge (fins, oil housing, bearing, shaft, etc) is readily available, but haven't come across the vanes/control ring.

Seems odd since it's the number one complaint?

Have already cleaned mine but suspect a hint of stick is re-occurring. Only so deep the soot can be cleaned. Would be nice to just swap out the wear part, instead of buying the whole manifold assembly.

AceTdi

TDI
Golf ALH
Yeah!! VNT Nozzle ring, that's what they call it! Now to find one for ALH. Thanks Super1!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If you pull the ring, bolts, and spacers completely out you can polish up the parts to just like new. If you have a hard, flat, surface, some fine emery cloth will go a long way to help keeping the vanes and linkage working.

Which is all fine and dandy unless the actuator arm is severely worn. Even at that, installing a control ring that isn't wallowed out from wear should be a positive thing control and consistency wise.

Last edited:

AceTdi

TDI
Golf ALH
Yes exactly Nevada, easier to just R&R with new. Warping gets bad, emery isn't fun, and the lever wears. Interested to see how well these pieces fit. Wonder if they're just Chinese garbage.

Super1 that one didn't seem to list ALH on the fit list. Will have very close look before purchasing. Thanks for the great advice and link.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Anybody that works on TDI's as a business likely has a pile of dead turbos, you might want to find a less used manifold/control ring and drop your CHRA into it.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I bought a set from a local shop, made in UK, and I believe Darkside has them also. If I can dig up the part number I will post it

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
1102 017 835, try googling that

AceTdi

TDI
Golf ALH
A lot comes up for that. Definitely the assembly I'm looking. Seems like most are for VNT17 vs the stock VNT15. Hmmm

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When they looked up my numbers on the cartridge, it came up in their books as a vnt17 even though it had vnt15 right next to the model number. That set fit my stock alh gerrett vnt15

AceTdi

TDI
Golf ALH
Very interesting Jmodge. That kind of confused me about the turbos in general. So are all the 17 parts compatible with the 15 to your knowledge?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have experience with the vnt15 only.