Oil Leak from Rear of Engine

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Tandem pump.

You may also want to look your oil cooler over. It won’t put diesel in your oil but they do leak.
I've found a wrecking yard that will give me one for $60 in good condition since I need the car working soon. Do dealerships have gaskets for reasonable prices?

Also check the cam. Tandem pumps leaking into the valve area can kill the camshafts on these cars.
When I had the valve cover off the lobes all looked pristine, but I could be mistaken. I don't want to take it apart as I don't have any tools for keeping the timing or pulling the camshaft off.

Might I be able to get pictures for you dudes to look at? I had one that I took just to show someone else but it's not specifically of the cam, he just wanted to see the valve cover off

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm sure they look pristine, they've just been washed. ;)

Sharp edges to the lobes or wear/cracking on the followers would be some indicators of wear. But perhaps you dodged a bullet. If the tandem pump wasn't leaking for long you may be fine.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
While you're at it, if you feel comfortable doing so, check and possibly change the fuel hoses going to and from the tandem pump if they look shot. I had a tiny pinhole leak from the supply line. I was able to get the car home (had a trailer, and it would've been extraordinarily expensive to have that towed with the car), but the air filter ultimately clogged with fuel, so I wasn't able to get the engine to crank with no air supply. I've since replaced ALL fuel hoses from the fuel tank pipes onwards. And yes, I had the same kind of oily film all over my trailer and back windshield. That was not a fun 300 mile trip home!

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
I'm about 10 miles from home and I just changed the oil in it to make sure the level was only rising when I was driving. It's already diluted enough to drip off the stick immediately.

Would you recommend towing it back home? My neighbor has a trailer I can barrow. I can get a tandem pump and gasket today for $130.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
While you're at it, if you feel comfortable doing so, check and possibly change the fuel hoses going to and from the tandem pump if they look shot. I had a tiny pinhole leak from the supply line. I was able to get the car home (had a trailer, and it would've been extraordinarily expensive to have that towed with the car), but the air filter ultimately clogged with fuel, so I wasn't able to get the engine to crank with no air supply. I've since replaced ALL fuel hoses from the fuel tank pipes onwards. And yes, I had the same kind of oily film all over my trailer and back windshield. That was not a fun 300 mile trip home!
I will go through and check my fuel lines. Nothing smells like diesel, but why not just to be safe [emoji14]

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't give up on finding OldPoopie, did a quick search, all I saw was his email. Many car people are not heavy computer users.
I know next to nothing about PDs, but I don't follow how the fuel system dumps oil on the right side of the motor, isn't the tandem pump on the left side? (I'm calling the engine orientation front is where the timing belt goes).

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Don't give up on finding OldPoopie, did a quick search, all I saw was his email. Many car people are not heavy computer users.
I know next to nothing about PDs, but I don't follow how the fuel system dumps oil on the right side of the motor, isn't the tandem pump on the left side? (I'm calling the engine orientation front is where the timing belt goes).
I managed to contact him through the forums, but I haven't gotten a response back for checking up my golf.

The tandem pump is opposite the timing belt. It's on the back of the engine if the timing belt is the front.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
I picked up a used tandem pump from a nearby wreaking yard for $125, engine had about 150k miles on it but worked perfectly. The pump is a Bosch. I believe only the LUK ones had the recall? I picked up a new gasket from a VW dealership for about $20.

Gonna go and replace it all right now.

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Tropical Orange GTD, Lifted Jetta Wagon TDI, MK2 Jetta Coupe GTD
I hope that is your problem. How many miles on your pd?

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Just to show you how bad it got. This was after a 10 mile trip after an oil change that was within my fill line.

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
How long have you had the car? Service history?

At 200000 miles, it's about when you might start having cam issues.

No oil pressure because of the oil to thin from diesel fuel won't help.

Do you know about timing belt, trans service? Both are very important.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
How long have you had the car? Service history?

At 200000 miles, it's about when you might start having cam issues.

No oil pressure because of the oil to thin from diesel fuel won't help.

Do you know about timing belt, trans service? Both are very important.
I've had it for about three months. I bought it from a dude for about 2k and he promised to send a repair history but he's never responded to me about it. I brought it to a local shop who gave me a few things wrong with it and a bunch of yellow squares on a sheet, which didn't help, and then charged me $100 for a used fuel filter and $1000 for a new gas tank and fuel pump plus labor, which admittedly, I needed.

They said my clutch pilot bearing is rattling and making noise but I think it's the flywheel, since it only happens in neutral with my foot off the clutch. My rear struts are going bad, and my rear subframe is a little warped, which is about all I'd trust from them.

So I really don't have a clue about this car. I've just been repairing as I go.

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
Sent you a PM

Robert

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Alright I got it to turn over after replacing the pump. That means it's seated right, right? Cuz if the camshaft couldn't turn the pump no fluids would make it to the injectors?

The bad thing is a fuel line burst so I'm driving to go get a new line right now.

There was a check engine light on now but I'm pretty sure it was because I forgot to re-connect my MAF sensor. Oops.

Last edited:

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
New line in, the car works great. My oil level has settled in a good spot. I'm going to take it out driving tomorrow, but so far for the 20 minutes I've had it running my oil level hasn't risen at all.

I've noticed two new noises, but those might just be normal. A sort of popping noise when I turn off the car and I can hear the fuel pump move in pulses more audibly. There was a slight kink in the new line but because it was right at the inlet metal I figured it wasn't obstructing anything, but it probably is. The hose was hard to bend in that space. I'll try new hose tomorrow.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I hope you got fuel line rated for diesel. Diesel eats rubber.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
After an entire day of driving it looks like it fixed my problem! Hurrah!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Sorry ive been hard to get ahold of lately! Juggling lifes hurdles.....

tonymc

TDI
European VW GOLF MK4 TDI 1.9 SE
I got an oil leak at the rear of my engine which is causing as much as 50ML loss of oil daily.
Trying to locate where it's leaking from so i need to find a diagram showing all the possible areas where this leak could be coming from.
I need some help to quickly find and fix this problem or i would need to purchase an oil well soon my friends.
VW Golf Mk4 1.9 TDI YR 02, Engine code :ATD

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Probably the valve cover. Not necessarily, but likely.

You can't get just the gasket. BUT -- I've had success with taking it off, cleaning it REAL WELL with brake cleaner (remove the baffle first, then put it back when done), make sure the mating surface is CLEAN AND DRY, then using black Permatex, let it set for about 30 minutes, assemble LOOSELY, wait an hour, then torque it and let it sit OVERNIGHT before you start the engine.