Restitution Payment on Totaled Car

ahut2000

TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagen TSI - Jetta TDI totaled
Not very helpful but I got this response from the lawyer yesterday

"[FONT=&quot]I received this update from VW Counsel: VW is still working to issue payment."[/FONT]

Niceaproch

TDI
Jetta sportwagon
Finally!!

My restitution came today! There was no warning, when I called this morning they said it would still be awhile. It was over nighted and came 2 hrs after I talked to them. Nothing on there side showed it had been sent. It was fed ex, and has to be signed for. There is hope now that they are actually sending them!

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Touareg TDI Lux
My restitution came today! There was no warning, when I called this morning they said it would still be awhile. It was over nighted and came 2 hrs after I talked to them. Nothing on there side showed it had been sent. It was fed ex, and has to be signed for. There is hope now that they are actually sending them!
I received a note on my door from FedEx today that they couldn't deliver something because it required a signature. I called local office, they confirmed it was an envelope, overnight from Chase. I suspected this is what it could be and now you confirmed it! They are holding it for pickup tomorrow since I won't be home during the regular delivery hours.

This is good news for many people in this thread I hope!!

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Touareg TDI Lux
I received a note on my door from FedEx today that they couldn't deliver something because it required a signature. I called local office, they confirmed it was an envelope, overnight from Chase. I suspected this is what it could be and now you confirmed it! They are holding it for pickup tomorrow since I won't be home during the regular delivery hours.
This is good news for many people in this thread I hope!!
All - I can confirm that I too received a FedEx overnight letter from Chase containing the restitution payment. I elected EFT on my offer letter but it still came via a physical check from Chase.

Good luck and hopefully you all received your payments soon as well!

signing off.

-J

Bruce Land

TDI
Bettle
So for the ones of you that have received your check can you indicate if you did not have a car to turn in. In my case my car was totaled in Florida and I live in VA. I started this thread and have not seen my check yet. Talked to chat room this morning and they indicated that the payment department is working on my restitution payment. I am not sure what this means.

ahut2000

TDI
So for the ones of you that have received your check can you indicate if you did not have a car to turn in. In my case my car was totaled in Florida and I live in VA. I started this thread and have not seen my check yet. Talked to chat room this morning and they indicated that the payment department is working on my restitution payment. I am not sure what this means.
Honestly, it means they have no idea what is going on! I wish you good luck though.

Bruce Land

TDI
Bettle
Looked at my claim status this morning. It now shows that my claim is complete and that a check or EFT will be sent to me within three days. When I checked last week it did not have this information.

Talked to claim line this morning to get a tracking number and they stated that the status change on my account was only applicable to buyback or fix claims. Since my claim is for restitution this update means nothing. I did point out to her that the status said that a check would be mailed within three days and so this was not applicable to a buyback.

She indicated that restitution check were being handled manually in small batches. Checks were not being issued using the same process as buyback checks. The claim status will not be updated when the check is sent. The only way I will be able to find out if the check has been sent is to call each day and have them talk to the department that will issue the check.

Back to waiting.

ahut2000

TDI
This is not the same information they gave me! Seems inconsistent all around. She let me know that from the time the portal changes to complete, a check should go out within 5-7 business days for totaled vehicle restitution.

Looked at my claim status this morning. It now shows that my claim is complete and that a check or EFT will be sent to me within three days. When I checked last week it did not have this information.

Talked to claim line this morning to get a tracking number and they stated that the status change on my account was only applicable to buyback or fix claims. Since my claim is for restitution this update means nothing. I did point out to her that the status said that a check would be mailed within three days and so this was not applicable to a buyback.

She indicated that restitution check were being handled manually in small batches. Checks were not being issued using the same process as buyback checks. The claim status will not be updated when the check is sent. The only way I will be able to find out if the check has been sent is to call each day and have them talk to the department that will issue the check.

Back to waiting.

labzilla

TDI
2010 Jetta
Long time VW owner, first time poster.

My 2010 Jetta was totaled, and I was going to take a modification prior to the accident. Since the car is 7 years old my insurance company does not want it, I can keep it and have it repaired myself.

I've been told by various VW people, that if I can make the car "drive-able" I would be eligible for a buy back. Seems like I would receive the full buyback amount for a car with major body damage. Has anyone heard or experienced any thing like this?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I've been told by various VW people, that if I can make the car "drive-able" I would be eligible for a buy back. Seems like I would receive the full buyback amount for a car with major body damage.
Correct.

Has anyone heard or experienced any thing like this?
Yep. My JSW was wrecked in the evacuation from Hurricane Matthew. Had it towed to the dealer, they were presumably able to start and move the car (I say "presumably" because I wasn't there when the car was dropped off), and VW paid the full amount.

ahut2000

TDI
Bruce.. you should get your check. My portal changed to that and I received my check. Even though I requested EFT and VW told me they could not offer me a timeframe or a tracking number, I still received it in the mail.

labzilla

TDI
2010 Jetta
Correct.

Yep. My JSW was wrecked in the evacuation from Hurricane Matthew. Had it towed to the dealer, they were presumably able to start and move the car (I say "presumably" because I wasn't there when the car was dropped off), and VW paid the full amount.
Bruce.. you should get your check. My portal changed to that and I received my check. Even though I requested EFT and VW told me they could not offer me a timeframe or a tracking number, I still received it in the mail.
Thanks for the info, I was concerned when I heard the car must be 'drive-able'. My car is not currently 'drive-able', it has a little more damage than duratitus has.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/labzilla/IMG_5011.jpg

I reached out to the lawyer and asked him what is the definition of 'drive-able' to participate in the buyback program. He said;

1. The car must operate under it's own power
  2. The car must be safe to drive
  3. The car must be minimum street legal
If VW does not deem the car 'drive-able' there is an appeal that can be filed. I think I found a body shop that can do a minimum works, for minimum money so I can sell the car back to VW.

Hopefully this information will help others involved in an accident.

Bruce Land

TDI
Bettle
Got back today from being out of town since Thursday. Appears that FED EX tried to deliver a package while I was gone that had to be signed for. Hopefully my check. Told them to send it to my nearest FED EX office. I will update if it is my check.

Bruce Land

TDI
Bettle
I got my VW restitution check today. Interesting thing is that the check appears to have been issued in Irving, Texas and then sent to Indianapolis before being sent to me. Now only waiting for the Bosch check. Bye!

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Salvage Title

Does anyone know if having a salvage title will alter the payout amount. Also it the car is turned over to the insurance company is that going to impact the $5,100 minimum payout, or do they suddenly become a co-owner?

Just repaired a deer strike, and the shop uncovered a bunch of unrepaired/improperly repaired damage from a prior claim. The insurance company has thus decided to total the car.

The company wants the car, but I can keep it if I pay for the repair costs of the repairs that weren't properly done, (otherwise they would be paying for it twice) and I would have to get a salvage title for it.

Now, I can submit the paperwork before the salvage title goes through, but OMG what a mess.

I'm just trying to determine what would be my best option.

Most straight forward would be to let the insurance keep the car, but then that may cost me $$$.

More complex is to keep the car and not confuse the situation with VW, and I might come out a couple of thousand further ahead.

I'm just trying to get information on what the advantages and disadvantages of which choice would be.

TDI
Passat, Jetta
Did you get full restitution.

I got my VW restitution check today. Interesting thing is that the check appears to have been issued in Irving, Texas and then sent to Indianapolis before being sent to me. Now only waiting for the Bosch check. Bye!
Bruce did you get full restitution or half? Congrats on getting that

wavers

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta Wagon & totaled 2011 Jetta TDI Sedan
Totaled 2011 Jetta TDI Sedan

I totaled my 2011 Jetta TDI Sedan on 4/26/2017. I have been reading this thread as it has been far more helpful then calling the settlement line. I have submitted all documentation needed and now am waiting for a new offer letter which will come via mail, hopefully some day in my lifetime. Some things I have learned which may help others:

Make copies of all paperwork front/back if there is a back just in case, no matter what the vw settlement operators tell you what you will/will not need. (They told me I only needed the transfer to insurance paperwork which was not true)

Don't believe the vw settlement operators, they know nothing. If you get a bad/unhelpful one call back. I also found the chat online was more helpful and I got more helpful answers. IDK if they are having more totaled vehicles so they are getting better at answering questions?

Be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait. Be the squeaky wheel.

I did contact the lawyers for the case, but they were not very helpful either.

Since it looks like some people have received restitution payouts I have hope. Good luck with the process.

joeonetime

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
So irritating. I had a car in a similar condition, and they refused to take it back. Wouldn't tell me what I needed to do or anything. Just told me to get it off the dealer lot - and that if I wanted further help, I should "call claims". So sick and tired of this company. Would never consider buying another VW again.

Wound up taking the check from the insurance company, now trying to get the restitution payment from VW. Absurd.

Here's one of the beauties I sold back. (Just like you see it....Missing parts were in the trunk)

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad333/DuraTitusd/pix.ridesafely.com.jpg

Save
Save

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
Woke up this morning to find my 2 cars hit. A driver going the opposite direction hit my parked JSW TDI, which rolled 7ft back and hit my other car behind it. The TDI looks totaled but waiting for the adjuster to come out. On the settlement, I'm on "Step 4: completion, appointment scheduled, closing canceled" (I couldn't make the appointment).

Looks like my best option is to get the car fixed to a drivable condition for closing, but not sure yet if that's possible. Or if I'm lucky enough for the dealer to take it as is..

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Woke up this morning to find my 2 cars hit. A driver going the opposite direction hit my parked JSW TDI, which rolled 7ft back and hit my other car behind it. The TDI looks totaled but waiting for the adjuster to come out. On the settlement, I'm on "Step 4: completion, appointment scheduled, closing canceled" (I couldn't make the appointment).

Looks like my best option is to get the car fixed to a drivable condition for closing, but not sure yet if that's possible. Or if I'm lucky enough for the dealer to take it as is..
Number one, do not let insurance total it. Do everything you can to just get money to fix it.

Number two - the appointments are now via video chat with corporate. They are pretty strict and will NOT take a car that is all smashed up. You must fix it up to LOOK alright

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Is there not also the option to get the payment for the total from the insurance company, then the restitution portion from Volkswagen? Or was that one of the options eliminated recently?

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^ that was the option give to us by VW Chat. Insurance adjuster assessed the total loss at $15K. VW Buyback is/was $20K. Now, does anyone know how much owner restitution is, and will Bosch check follow? VW chat won't give numbers. If it was the same as modfication $5K, then I'll be even.

VWGoA chat Sarah
Please contact us when the title has been transferred to the insurance company. We will make note in your account. You will not have to complete the buyback. We will request proof of vehicle transfer and you would be eligible for owner restitution... we will make note of the dates. Then you will receive an e-mail requesting the proof of vehicle transfer. We will review the document. Once the documents have been reviewed and validated you will receive a new offer letter for owner restitution. Once you submit the offer letter back to us signed and notarized it will be reviewed. When the offer letter is reviewed and accepted, you will receive the payment.
Number one, do not let insurance total it. Do everything you can to just get money to fix it.
Number two - the appointments are now via video chat with corporate. They are pretty strict and will NOT take a car that is all smashed up. You must fix it up to LOOK alright
Adjuster thought the axle and subframe got bent..

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
You can use any of the online calculators to get the portion, and you will still get the Bosch check. Push insurance to pay enough to make it the same as the buyback overall.

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Chat again, this time more:
Sarah 3/22
  • The owner restitution amount is 20% of the vehicle value + $2,986.73
  • You can cancel the current appointment for the buyback if you would like. You will not need an appointment.
  • Once the title is transferred and you contact us then we will make note...We will e-mail you at that time requesting proof of vehicle transfer. The document needs to have the mileage of when your vehicle was transferred, the date, the signature of the insurance agent and their name, your signature, your VIN number and them stating the vehicle was transferred. Once we review and validate the document you will receive a new offer letter for owner restitution.
  • The only deadline that applies to you at this time is All documents have to submitted and accepted by September 1st 2018 and your offer option has to be completed by December 30th 2018.
So, what would VW use as the vehicle value? The buyback "return amount" or the insurance total loss settlement? Their buyback valuation was $14.2K (plus restitution, $20K total). The insurance total loss is $15.1K. Hopefully the higher because that's an actual value once the insurance check is written.

EDIT: got the insurance to increase their valuation, listing the car with premium pkg and upgraded lighting. The total loss came up to $16.5 and with VW restitution, the total will hopefully end up to be $22K (2011 JSW TDI with 92K)

Last edited: