Has anyone imported tdi's from the UK or elsewhere (other than US)??

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Looking at trying to find a local tdi wagon but having no real luck with 03s or 97 wagons. I've always wanted a RHD car and was looking at tdi's on ebay.co.uk and found a few older than 15 years. Has anyone ever imported cars from the UK or similar countries? Any experience or info for someone looking?

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
before you do any importing, call your insurance company and ask how much its going to be. Thanks to all the stupid kids and their skylines, lot of insurance companies refuse to insure RHD cars or they ask for too much money.

Why don't you look into importing from Germany or Poland. I hear they are cheap places for cars.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I have 2 imported cars.

Pick a car that also exists here as a gasser, do not even bother with RHD. I was going to get a Polo, but no one wants to insure it. My insurance asked right away if they were RHD for both vehicles and was told they are not interested if so.

Don't even get me started on the new insurance validation program. My VINs fail the program and come up as invalid. It took 4 trips to the MTO to get my plates renewed.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Sounds like I'm just going to move to New Zealand where the RHD cars are cheap and plentiful after all lol.

I wonder if I could register it as a classic and just use it for road trips? Why must things be so complicated with the MTO/Transport Canada/Insurance/everything.

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Sorry, but shifting with the left hand just feels wrong! I did it for a few years in the UK and frequent NZ every other year. Even after practice, it still feels wrong IMHO.

The trouble with NZ is that 99% of the cars are from Japan or Korea. Don't get me wrong, there are some good diesel down there but if you want German cars and/or German car parts, be prepared to spend $$$$. Also, don't forget to factor in the cost of fuel ($2.15/L for gas and 1.41/L for diesel last year) and the mandatory vehicle registration (which costs more for diesel BTW) :p

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
It makes no sense to import from Germany or Poland, actually not that cheap, and not cheap at all after import cost. Only worth it on rare specialty cars and it is usually done not to save money but to just get something you can't get here.

Most cars in Poland are smashed and rebuild, rebuild so well most experts cant figure it out. Most people in Poland buy cars assuming they are smashed but most don't care because they are rebuild really well, but in the end they are rebuilds. I am Polish, and I go to poland quite often, and I am scared to buy cars in Poland for use in Poland myself.

Most of the these smashed cars come form Germany, and if you guys see these cars smashed, you would never want to buy it. I do not think any shops in North America would even attempt rebuilding cars like they do in Poland. Reason for it was, shortage of cars in early 2000 late 90s, cheap labour as cheap as $1.5 a hour ( after conversion ) in late 90s, and good resale value as most guys would only claim minor damage or none when disclosing information to the buyer. They would never admit to how badly the car was really damaged. There is no Carfax or car proof in Germany or Poland. Only your judgment. around 2006 or so Polish goverment imposed a high tax on cars older then 5 years, to prevent bringing cars to Poland and hurting new car sales. Most cars imported to Poland now days are under 5 years, mostly 1 to 3 years old, write offs, bought for cheap, and extensively repaired in Poland, where labor is still cheap and resold as minor damaged. That does not matter anyway as you can not import a car younger then 15 years old.

What makes more sense right now, is to go buy a new car. You can buy a fully loaded Jetta TDI for 27,000 or so. Doesn't VW offer 0% 0 down? Plus you get warranty, and its new, 100% accident free, rust free? A used TDI will cost you around 5 to 8 grand to buy, and most of them need a few more to bring it up to standard. For around extra 17 to 20 grand you get a new car that if well cared for will last 15 years.

Last edited: