Malone Tune 0.5 - Anyone?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I love my post Mod Gen 1 TDI JSW.... I was hoping some folks had insight on the 0.5 tune (with DSG). Thanks

CAN I RETURN the car to stock TUNE without any indication that it was tuned... (car's hardware is stock).

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I bought the flashzilla, allows you to change tunes at will, I had stage 2 with stock emissions, I flashed back to stock and took it in for the fix, no mention of anything.. I then paid an update fee to make my stage 2 tune compatible with the current software, and flashed it back in, no problem.

Now I do not know if a savvy dealer can tell how many times or why an ecu was flashed, but Id guess you could probably talk around it, ie had drivability issues and dealer x did a bunch of software updates trying to fix it etc..

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
BUMP... so I guess Stage 2 is cool with DSG with out DSG tune?

My only complaint of the new VW tune is it seems to do a lot of little Re-Gens....

Anyone else?

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I love my post Mod Gen 1 TDI JSW.... I was hoping some folks had insight on the 0.5 tune (with DSG). Thanks

CAN I RETURN the car to stock TUNE without any indication that it was tuned... (car's hardware is stock).

No, there will always be an indication that your car is or has been running non standard software. DSG tune is required for anything above Stage 0.5.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
No, there will always be an indication that your car is or has been running non standard software. DSG tune is required for anything above Stage 0.5.
This is what is keeping me from doing any tune on my car, after really wanting to. I can't throw away the warranty for this car. Once that is over though, if I have the car and the funds I'll be looking forward to it.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
This is what is keeping me from doing any tune on my car, after really wanting to. I can't throw away the warranty for this car. Once that is over though, if I have the car and the funds I'll be looking forward to it.
I’m with you but I don’t know how long I can hold off. The warranty lasts a lot of miles. If I consider the full emissions warranty that would end up being another 80,000 miles for me. That is a couple thousand hours of driving. And there is an opportunity cost to not being able to drive an improved car for all those hours. Then I consider the fact that the car can be flashed back to stock for warranty work and may not be flagged (I’ve yet to read of a tuned-only VW TDI, flashed back to stock, being denied warranty coverage). And add the fact that there may not be any issues that need coverage (our 2011 JSW went 125k with no service or repairs except fluids and tires). It starts to become a harder decision.

My current goal is to attempt to wait through the CPO period to tune the car. But I also might break down and order a flash tuner at any time.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
My current goal is to attempt to wait through the CPO period to tune the car. But I also might break down and order a flash tuner at any time.
I've thought about buying a tune as well and waiting, but decided to spend the money elsewhere for now. If I'm predicting right, I'll pass 123k miles on the clock by mid 2020, and that is two years away, about lining up with my CPO expiring. I can't risk throwing away the money I spent to make this a CPO car. Everyone else is free to do as they wish, I don't know for certain about denial of warranty issues but my own risk analysis says don't do it. Until then I'm learning how to adapt my driving habits to better utilize the car. It is a work in progress but I am improving.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
BUMP... so I guess Stage 2 is cool with DSG with out DSG tune?
My only complaint of the new VW tune is it seems to do a lot of little Re-Gens....
Anyone else?

I believe Malone recommends a DSG tune with the gen 1 cars if you are pushing the limit with a Stg 2 tune, i believe stg 1 is fine.

for Gen3 cars they just dial back the peak torque to avoid the DMF shudder at massive torque peak at 1800.