Ventectomy -- New guy's first mod!

ssnapier

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Turbo Diesel (RIP), 2006 Jetta TDI
Ok, I am a visual kinda guy and cannot find the pics of how to do this anywhere! I have a Mk5 Jetta and would love to do this, I just need a little guidance.... anyone?

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
I have been topping off with B100, so there is little foam, and when I'm finished I can see fuel in the filling tube. Will the ventecomy help me get more fuel in there? How does this work?
Peter

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
It will work. Foam or no foam there is trapped air in the tank. Many times when I fill up the tank, by the top the nozzle stops then I start again with slow filling, I can hear the air coming out and the foam in the neck drops.

If you want to get more fuel in the tank, after you have totally topped off. Have someone hold the nozzle and you drive around the parking lot, then fill up to the top again. That is sure way to get all the trapped air out. But we are talking about a little extra like half gallon. The most I ever put in my Beetle is 16.74 gallons. I sure was risking it from running out of fuel.

ssnapier

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Turbo Diesel (RIP), 2006 Jetta TDI
daBooj said:
I tell you what, there is a link in this thread 3 posts back that has pictures of how to do the mod step by step.

(here's the link, if you're lazy. Just wanted to say that you found a thread with a working link in it and your post landed 2 posts down from it
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/ventectomy/index.htm)
wow... I feel like an idiot now... sorry!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Ventectomy made MUCH easier by wetting it with fuel!

One trick I've learned when doing a ventectomy mod is that it is MUCH EASIER to pop the white plastic valve body out if it's first wetted with fuel or additives (PowerService, etc.). It wants to stay glued in there and not budge easily unless wetted with fuel. I found it requires A LOT more effort to push the valve body out during the mod if everything is totally dry. Wetting it with fuel also helps when pushing the valve body back in place after the mod. :cool:

You can splash some fuel or additives in there to wet the valve body or do the ventectomy mod soon after filling up, venting, and topping off the tank. The valve will still be wet from venting and topping off.

Wetting the valve body with fuel or additives makes the ventectomy mod go MUCH easier! :cool:

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Bambi, this is much easier if you remove the right taillight on the bug. You can do this in two minutes by removing the large handwheel, and lightly prying the taillight out.

You can then reach in and release the tab while someone pushes on the vent button. Pops right out.

If you remove the fuel door on the bug, you risk damaging the fuel door release assembly. BTDT.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Vent trick -- fuel nozzle depressing button while filling tank during top-off -- works just as fast as a ventectomized fuel fill neck. Trust me on this one. I did the vent trick for years before finally doing the ventectomy.

I brim it every fill-up, but still must wait for the fuel foam to settle.

'00 Golf TDI, 115K

bambiv

TDI
2002 Beetle
Alright Bam Bam, I won't be rude in return...but the only reason I found this thread was because I searched for the word ventectomy and when I didn't find the right stuff I searched for "ventectomy how to" still nothing on the 2002 Beetle. Okay I didn't think about searching for "2002 Beetle Ventectomy" but I did try. This site is full of valuable information which I have found and read a lot of without having to ask questions. However I have a full time job, go to school full time, have a 5 year old daughter a husband and Lupus so if you could try to understand where my time may be somewhat limited and that I may not have thought to search for the exact words mentioned above it would be appreciated.

To everyone else; I am glad there are people willing to help without being rude and I thank them greatly. Also I have to say I don't totally understand if the above to helpful posts are both ventectomy's or not. Could I please ask for a little clarification while I do another search?:)

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
:eek:
Bambi, please accept my apologies. I didn't intend to come off as rude. I completely understand about using the search feature. Most of it is not exactly what you were looking for.
In the TDI 101 Discussion Area. Go to Wingnuts "How To's"
This has got to be the most important starting point for most people. The #2 post by Cincy Mike has a link for the ventectomy, with posts by GeWilli and others describing procedures for the NB.
I too, enjoy a very busy life. Two jobs, twin girls (9), one boy (6). 1 daughter is into gymnastics with competitions all over Texas, the other daughter plays soccer and sings in the UMHB Conservatory Choir. The boy plays soccer and baseball, which I help coach. We own, but do not get to use enough--a camper and a boat. I believe my next scheduled breath is on the 25th. ;)

Once again, accept my apologies.........and remember wingnut!!

bambiv

TDI
2002 Beetle
Apology accepted and appreciated, most people aren't man/woman enough to apologize. I tried the 2002 Beetle Ventectomy search with no more results than the 1st two times. I know the feeling about scheduling a breath much less some decent sleep, ha that isn't coming anytime soon! So I will venture to the how to's and read! Thanks again.:)

bambiv

TDI
2002 Beetle
I have read the link you put up before and honestly the only cars I've ever worked on were '60s Mustangs so I didn't understand some of those posts. I have read and reread them and now I get it!:D I am going to do this tonight at work if I feel adventerous and tommorow if not. Some of them I guess were hard to understand without being right there to look at the car, but I think I have a handle on it. Thanks for your help Bam Bam!

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
take a baby wipe with you. Or if your trying to attract another tdi member, just rub your finger behind your ear when your done.

bambiv

TDI
2002 Beetle
I am such a blonde!

Bam,
You'll never believe this...well ok you will! It wasn't until today that I figured out what your post meant about the aromatic diesel! You meant to wipe off my hands after I got them dirty with diesel fuel, or rub it behind my ear like perfume! hahahahahahahaha! I was trying to go to sleep this morning and all of the sudden it made sense! It did get me dirty, but I get a lot more fuel in the tank! Thanks!:D :D :D

Ghost96

TDI
2005 Charcoal Grey Jetta TDI PD
Got mine done!

So I've been reading about this mod so much I've done it myself. The real reason I didn't do it earlier was because I wanted to compare it to my mileage and how many gallons I normally fill up with.

Not to mention I could never find the pictures for the mod. I've seen to posts, but the initial link was always broken and the pics really helped.

So anyways, I did it this morning and it took a few minutes with no problems. I filled up afterwards and got about 6 gallons in (my indicator was in between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark) and got on the expressway. My indicator went all the way up to the F on my fuel indicator. Normally this never happened in the past. I traveled about 80 miles before getting back to the house, all expressway driving. I was surprised that the needle never moved off the F mark.

I'll check how many extra miles I can get of it and how many extra gallons I can put in...? I've never been able to add more than 12.82 gallons since I've purchased it. Now I've got 31,000 miles on it so we'll see how much changes.

Honestly I wasn't expecting to see much of a change so this will be interesting. Normally when I fill my tank, I have most of the nozzle sitting out of the tank after the initial shutoff, allowing the foaming to subside. Then I top it off very slowly until I can see a pool of diesel right at the very top of the nozzle leading down into the tank.

I kind of figured since I'm already topping the tank off, this wouldn't have much of an affect on what I get for mileage and how many gallons I can fill my tank with. I guess we'll see...

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
Ghost96 said:
I kind of figured since I'm already topping the tank off, this wouldn't have much of an affect on what I get for mileage and how many gallons I can fill my tank with. I guess we'll see...
This mod will have no effect on your mileage(MPG). It will however have an effect on the distance you can travel on one tankfull, since you can get more fuel in the tank.:)

Ghost96

TDI
Totally right! I don't know why I put mileage down :p The extended distance is all I planned on increasing per fill-up. That was silly of me to write. :p

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
Ghost96 said:
Totally right! I don't know why I put mileage down :p The extended distance is all I planned on increasing per fill-up. That was silly of me to write. :p
Extended distance is the next best thing to better MPG, and we all know that great MPG with a TDI is already a given. I am constantly amazed at mine. An average of 46-48 and an all time best of 55.7. Driving 65 with CC from Austin to Fort Worth.:D

Ghost96

TDI
Ever since I moved from Shorewood to West Bend, the driving has been great. I get on I-45 to go everywhere, though the speeds are normally at around 70 (at least) .

In Shorewood I was getting crappy mileage because of all the stop n go driving with the city lights. Now, I'm doing at least 50 miles round trip at highway driving which is fantastic.

I was getting like 38 mpg and now I'm up to at least 42. I see it steadily increasing as well so that's exciting.

I really wanted to see how this mod would work for me because I'm doing around 100 miles per day (usually) and have to fill up every 5 days. I used to go almost 2 weeks! :) So if I can squeeze more into my tank, I'm all about it! :)

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Ghost96 said:
I was getting like 38 mpg and now I'm up to at least 42. I see it steadily increasing as well so that's exciting.
If you want to really improve your mileage, set your cruise control a few miles per hour above the speed limit and stay over to the right..

Let those riding in the fast lane have the anxieties that go with that lane..

We just had a fatal here yesterday in the passing lane.
An out of state SUV with 2 small kids inside, lost control when it had to make a quick maneuver..
A passerbuyer pulled the 2 kids from the vehicle before it burst into flames..

klufkee

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE :( 2002 Toyota MR2
Just did my ventectomy the other day. The day after I filled the tank. Now, even after taking a trip to Ocean City MD and back I still have to wait to fill. Maybe Thursday I'll get to. Can't wait to hear the whistle people speak of. We'll see what happens.

Bill K.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
bambiv said:
Bam,
You'll never believe this...well ok you will! It wasn't until today that I figured out what your post meant about the aromatic diesel! You meant to wipe off my hands after I got them dirty with diesel fuel, or rub it behind my ear like perfume! hahahahahahahaha! I was trying to go to sleep this morning and all of the sudden it made sense! It did get me dirty, but I get a lot more fuel in the tank! Thanks!:D :D :D
:D :D :D Your welcome.......giggle, giggle!!

Ghost96

TDI
Quite nice so far everyone! :) After doing the mod I filled up with 6-7 gallons and have been driving around as usual. I haven't had to get any Diesel yet. I've got 600 miles on it, which I've never hit before in my life on a single tank of Diesel. Plus I was running the AC for a little while and doing a bit of idling. Unbelievable!

Plus, I've got around a quarter tank left! I've gone around 45 additional miles after my CEL came on just to do it...so I'll assume that in addition to what I get for the total amount of miles on my Jetta, when the CEL comes on I can probably still get an additional 40-some files.

Man, soon I'll have to try to reach the 700 mark! I think I'll make 650 with no problems. Pretty amazing to put over 600 miles on a car before having to fill it up. Just amazing.

klufkee

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE :( 2002 Toyota MR2
I filled up on 06-01-2006. First fill after the mod. I put in 15.003 gallons but some nuts with a pick-up was waiting for the pump. There's only one pump at the station I go to in PA. I try not to use that one because I figure the station off Rt1 in MD gets more truck traffic and a lower chance of getting 'stale' fuel. Looks like I'll have to wait until the end of the week or next week maybe to fill again. I live where all the amish are so it's kind of odd to see a shiny vehicle next to a diesel pump, let alone a guy with a tie filling it. The pump doesn't have a card reader so I have to go inside first. When I came out the two hillbillys were acually standing at the back of my car with angry looks. Most likely thinking some city fool had blocked the pump to get his coffee thinking that diesel didn't matter to anyone. The anger turned to smirky grins as I opened the fuel door and picked up the handle of the pump. I'm sure they thought I was making a big mistake. I smiled at them as I pumped but didn't feel the greatest with them staring at me the whole time, did you ever see National Lampoons Vacation? Think of the mechanics at the repair shop out west and you get an idea of the creepyness of the situation.

I'm sure the pure bliss of my diesel clatter on start-up shattered any hopes they had of watching an idiot ruin his shiny car.

Next time I'll fill in MD so I can see how much it will take.

Bill K.

10000ft

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S - Diesels I've had: 2000 Golf TDI, '86 Mercedes 240D, '75 Toyota Landcruiser, 2000 F250
I know this is dumb but I just want to be sure. Once the ventectomy is complete is there any way air or water can get into the fuel tank once the gas cap is on. Thanks