Dead battery traction control on

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Well seems like the battery in my 2012 just went dead overnight was driving it one day. Wife went to start it the next afternoon and the battery was completely dead. Put a charger on it and it would not charge above 11 volts. Replaced the battery and now my traction control light is on and the car will not rev above 2000 rpms while not moving. Once you start moving traction control light goes out and car runs normal. Anybody have any ideas what to do to correct this problem?

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Weird things can happen when your car battery goes dead. My glow plug light was on a for a few days after mine completely died. I'll bet it will work itself out in a couple of duty cycles.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Is your steering wheel light also on?
I forget if I had a TC light when I changed my battery, but I had a steering wheel light, so I turned the wheel all the way left, and then all the way right. That let the computer know where the limits are and where center is.
I would assume that the stability system would be compromised if the computer does not know how far the wheel is turned, so once it relearns the positions it should go back to normal.

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
The steering wheel light was on the first time I started it but went out and never came back on. You might have something there when I get home tomorrow night I will turn the wheel lock to lock and see if that corrects the problem.
Thanks for the replies

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Put your new battery on a battery charger overnight. After that check voltage and then check charging voltage. SB somewhere above 12 volts engine off and above 13.5 volts engine running.

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right did not fix the problem. I have no lights on now, but the car still will not rev above 2000 RPMs when you are at a complete stop and then once you start to move it runs normal. New battery voltage is fine. Also noticed my window switch does not work the same as it did it was a one touch down or up now you have to hold the button down or up to get it window to open or close all the way. Seems something electrical to me like maybe the ECU got reset. Any other ideas?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Hold the switch so the window goes all the way down and then run it all the way back up. That's all it takes to reset that part anyway.

If mine didn't rev above 2000 setting in the driveway or at a stop light I probably would never know. I just can't think of a reason to raise the rpm's while not moving.

If all your lights are out it sounds like its more or less back to normal.

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Hold the switch so the window goes all the way down and then run it all the way back up. That's all it takes to reset that part anyway.

If mine didn't rev above 2000 setting in the driveway or at a stop light I probably would never know. I just can't think of a reason to raise the rpm's while not moving.

If all your lights are out it sounds like its more or less back to normal.
Thanks that did fix the window switch problem and Ol' Rattler the brake light switch is working correctly.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
They DON'T rev when stopped. None of them. If you lift throttle and press it again you will get some revs out of it. Just the computer, nothing has changed.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
EVERY TIME you disconnect a battery or you let it go dead you need to drive the car to reset the ASR, ABS and yaw angle sensors by driving it. The low battery situation can store more codes in the modules due to under volting. They don't like it and you will need a VAG scan tool or a VCDS to go in the modules and clear those codes.