Looking at a Jetta tomorrow

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Looking at it to possibly purchase. 2000 Jetta, 191k miles, 5 speed, TB done 10k miles ago by guru. What things should we focus on checking?

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
- Check timing via VCDS.
- Check intake manifold and egr for carbon build up
- Change oil and filter
- Check IQ(if car smoking or running rough)
- Air filter and cabin filter check too
- Check coolant temp sensor and thermostat operation through VCDS.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
I only have the Vag401 handheld scanner to check for codes. I guess it does a lot of other things, but I haven't learned them yet.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
We went ahead and bought it.

PROS: Fully California car, runs very smooth, clutch good, brakes good, suspension good, one small tear on side of drivers seat, clearcoat very good, glove box door has a broken hinge, tires good, 190k miles

CONS: Needs a head gasket (negotiated the price down accordingly), wants to pull to the left (we have an awesome alignment guy), AC could use charging.

All in all, I think we did well, provided the head's good. It runs great, so I'm taking that as a good sign for the head.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Congrats on car!
Why does it need a new head gasket?

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Coolant needs to be added every 130 miles or so, and excessive pressure when opening the coolant tank cap. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any clue there's anything amiss. It runs amazing.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
my car all of a sudden needs an alignment too... the steering wheel isnt straight when driving straight and it wants to pull to the side (cant remember which side.. havnt driven it in a month)

what would cause this? worn TRE?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Coolant needs to be added every 130 miles or so, and excessive pressure when opening the coolant tank cap. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any clue there's anything amiss. It runs amazing.
does it pressurize immediately from cold ? one good test is to crank up from cold get up on boost in first-second pull over, shut down... if the hoses pressurize with cold coolant it's a head gasket ...

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Both mechanic hubby and guru Matt have diagnosed a head gasket. PO changed radiator, coolant tank, and tstat, and disconnected the heater with no difference.