Sudden Loss of Remote Control Range

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
For some mysterious reason, my key fob remote suddenly won't lock or unlock the car from more than about four feet away.

The first thing I tried was a new battery, but this didn't help. Battery voltage of the old battery was 3.0 and the new one was 3.2V.

It has always worked from about 50 feet in the past. One day, it failed to unlock the car until I walked right up to it. Even standing at the rear hatch it barely works. It seems I need to be as close as possible to the instrument cluster. I presume that's where the signal is received.

Anyone ever had this happen? Do remotes just wear out? I guess it's possible.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Never happened to me, but the list of causes would be lengthy. Start by trying the other key fob. If it, too, has this problem, could be something in the car, either antenna wire broke/came loose, or radio circuitry related. Good luck.

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Mine never had great range... and the second one unfortunately went through the washer right after we got it ;) and was never the same.

Am considering this mod for a bigger antenna: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1484540/page2
also available here as a pdf: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/2068Extending_Remote_Range_smal.pdf
or maybe this VW TSB from 1999: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/2068Extending_Remote_Range_VW_TSB.pdf

Andrew
Thank you so much for those links! I didn't realize the antenna was so easy to get at. I assumed it would be built into the instrument cluster or something, rather than just a wire that I can inspect or change.

This definitely gives me something to go on...

One of these days I'll have to get in there and see what's up. It used to work better, so I'm guessing the wire is there, but has come loose.

I'll post my results!

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
Saw another post, but try this before cutting. I only had a 10ft range with my remote. Found advice to extend range. Took everything apart, then decided to test range and get an effective range to compare. Plugged it back in and started testing while backing away. Suddenly 10ft was now 170ft when I finnally backed into a fence. Maybe the only prob is a bad connection. But if not here is another site.
http://billswebspace.com/ExtendingMKIVKeyFobAntennaRange.htm

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver B5.5 GLS TDi Passat wagon w/ Tiptronic
I've been having the same issue on and off for a few years. Seems many people have the same issue. Never have this with my Passat though, only the Jetta.

Recently, it's been getting worse. Today, as in the past, neither remote works at all, even when standing directly next to the car. Have on occasions been able to get one working again, but not by anything I did. Just kept pushing the unlock or lock button. Have found if I'm on the driver's side it tends to work better, but I still need to be within 2 feet of the car. Other times, it works from 30 feet away.

I checked the remotes' batteries with a battery voltage meter and both are at high range of Good, which is as high as it goes, and as they should be, since both remotes' batteries were replaced in December 2012, just to see if that was the problem, but it's made no difference.

Anyone know if VW had a recall out for this issue, considering the high number of complaints here about it?

93sc

TDI
06,17 Jetta
My 06 started doing that a couple weeks ago. One of the wires (I think the orange one) in between the drivers door and chassis had come apart. Or more to the point the bad patch job by others fell apart. Fixed it, and it's worked great ever since. Same symptoms though and it came on quick.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Mines doing the same thing. Lots of things on these cars are complete garbage and poorly engineered imo.

mines something in my driver door I think, the red light by the lock knob doesnt ever come on, and because of that, I am unable to reprogram my new keys wireless buttons to the car.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
My 06 started doing that a couple weeks ago. One of the wires (I think the orange one) in between the drivers door and chassis had come apart. Or more to the point the bad patch job by others fell apart. Fixed it, and it's worked great ever since. Same symptoms though and it came on quick.
This is interesting. Is your 06 a Mk5 chassis?

Also, is the wire inside the driver's door? I thought it was in the convenience module which is behind glove box and is routed over A, B and C pillars...

93sc

TDI
06,17 Jetta
This is interesting. Is your 06 a Mk5 chassis?
Also, is the wire inside the driver's door? I thought it was in the convenience module which is behind glove box and is routed over A, B and C pillars...
I believe so. 6/06 build date and brm engine code.
The wire would have been inside the rubber boot, had it still been there. Runs from a wiring harness plug that plugs into the pillar and then into the door.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hm... That's really interesting.

Do you remember how that wire looked like? Was the insulation coloured or transparent? Is this a coaxial cable?

According to EOS forum, the wire runs up A pillar (no idea where it ends, though), but hey, EOS does not have a roof...

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Mines doing the same thing. Lots of things on these cars are complete garbage and poorly engineered imo.

mines something in my driver door I think, the red light by the lock knob doesnt ever come on, and because of that, I am unable to reprogram my new keys wireless buttons to the car.
you need a civic

93sc

TDI
06,17 Jetta
Hm... That's really interesting.

Do you remember how that wire looked like? Was the insulation coloured or transparent? Is this a coaxial cable?

According to EOS forum, the wire runs up A pillar (no idea where it ends, though), but hey, EOS does not have a roof...
I'm starting to think I described it incorrectly, so here is a picture. I am holding on to the wire in question.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, this is the brown "ground" wire for the door. I checked the wiring on the car in question. It has got some very minor damage to the insulation on a few larger wires, however, not something critical what requires immediate fix.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The very easiest method to increase the range of the remote is an old trick I learned way back in 2005. It still applies on my new Passat too.

Take the remote and hold it under and against your chin when you push the remote buttons. I have remotely started my Passat that way from at least 100' away.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take the remote and hold it under and against your chin when you push the remote buttons. I have remotely started my Passat that way from at least 100' away.
I know this trick. I have tried it. If you're standing at the driver's side, it indeed increases the range by about 2 meters/6 feet maximum.

If you're standing somewhere else and not at the driver's side, this has got absolutely no effect.

If you stand as far as 5 meters away from the car, it won't lock/unlock no matter what you try and how hard you try...

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Under the chin, plus raising the other hand over my head works really well too (seriously).

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So today I took apart the car.
I've removed the glove box, as well as A pillar trim. I found the antenna cable at both ends. This is a shielded cable

Unfortunately, nothing obviously wrong there... I check the continuity on both, the inner wire and the shield and it was present with 0 Ohms resistance...

No ideas where/what to look next.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
So today I took apart the car.
I've removed the glove box, as well as A pillar trim. I found the antenna cable at both ends. This is a shielded cable

Unfortunately, nothing obviously wrong there... I check the continuity on both, the inner wire and the shield and it was present with 0 Ohms resistance...

No ideas where/what to look next.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
From my reading of the instructions posted on the previous page - you are looking for a clear sheath wire from the black connector under the steering column, not behind the glove box. Perhaps you found the wrong wire?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Obvious I know but if it's shielded along it's whole length, you haven't yet found the antenna, just it's cable.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, I found the antenna.

It is black shielded wire. It goes to 16 and 17 pins in central conv module. Another end is at the A pillar.

At the top of A pillar it ends. The end of the wire has got shield stripped, by about 15 cm. The tiny internal wire in it's clear/transparent insulation is exposed.

I used multimeter to confirm that. The wire is not shorted with shield, neither shield nor wire itself are broken (continuity is OK).

I tried disconnecting the antenna pins (16 and 17) only. The remotes do not work at all then. This confirms this is the antenna.

I checked the resistance between 16 and 17 pins at the central conv. module - it reports infinity. 16 pin should be the internal wire/antenna and 17 is the shield. Any ideas if it's supposed to be like that? Anyone experienced with antennas? :)

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had this problem with my 02. Solved it with a new fob
Unfortunately I have both remotes in my hands with brand new batteries. The second remote is brand new and never used. And they behave the same - don't work away from the car :(

Today I have purchased about 6 feet / 2 meters of coaxial cable. Will try to solder its ends to the pins, strip about 1 ft/30 cm of shield and give it a try... If that helps at least by a bit, I'm going to install it into the car.

Meanwhile I've done full scan with VCDS - absolutely no errors in any module.
I've also checked the 46 Central conv. coding to see if the bit is not set for "remote control range limitation active" (or sth like that). It was not set. I've set it, saved, cycled the ignition, then restored it back to original coding with hopes it might "clear" something. Nope, this didn't help...

Anyway, I suspect this is a faulty module. However, the person who owns that car is not going to replace it...

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Have you tested in a different location? I know there are some places where my range just sucks, but others it's flawless . . .

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you tested in a different location? I know there are some places where my range just sucks, but others it's flawless . . .
Yes, obviously.
The owner complained that the remotes have become nearly useless..