EGR Cooler Sound? Can someone verify the hissing sound?

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
I'm getting a code on VCDS (P2015) that seems to be associated with a bad EGR cooler. I keep reading about a buzzing or hissing sound that this typically makes and that seems like a good description to me, too. It almost sounds like it's coming through the vents in the middle of the car - and like the sound the AC compressor makes when it turns on....except it's constant and correlates with RPMs as the gas pedal is pressed. Is that consistent with what others have heard?

It's confusing because I first thought I had an anti shudder valve problem and still haven't ruled that out. If it's an EGR problem, I'll just delete and tune but don't want to do that unnecessarily.

Thanks for any input.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I'll get video tomorrow.

I'm not real versed with vcds but I tried to read through steps of testing maf and boost. In the test mode, the maf at 1400 rpm should range from 470-230 mbar. I only got up to 400.

The boost test should have a variance of about 150 st 1400 rpm - mine was more like 100...if I did these years correctly.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
awaiting for the video here, just reminding :)

I just tried to take a video...the sound can't be picked up at all in the video.

In my mind, it's got to be a boost sound. It's like a hissing noise, or brushes rubbing on something. It seems to louder in the lower RPM ranges but directly correlates with touching the pedal. The second you step off the pedal, it stops and them immediately sounds upon tapping the pedal again. If you lightly touch the pedal, the sound is more mild and stays constant if you are constantly on the pedal and not accelerating. The sound will get incrementally louder based on how much pedal you give up until a point...then fades off slightly as the RPM builds.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
EGR cooler gasket leak?

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
EGR cooler gasket leak?
Figured I should be able to see soot some around it if that is the case. Maybe I need to get in a different viewing position.

All I one is that it sounds like when an A/C compressor kicks on. It's not at all RPMs and seems most prevalent when I'm not throttling real hard and let RPMs. Frustrating.