Timing Belt time(choices choices choices)

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I recently confirmed my suspicions of my car still spinning around with the OEM belts at 115kmi. That's 30kmi past due. That's pushin' it. I have a 2002 GLS w/auto tranny.

I am looking around for new belts, water pump and coolant. I found a few places. They end up costing just about the same. It all ends up being just around 300 bucks for the belts and pump and such. I plan to do this myself to save money, because I am unemployed at the moment. :( Another reason for this is because I want to do this with my own hands. This seems like something I could do without a lift and a tremendous amount of specialized tools. I have a bunch of tools at home, but I will gladly go and get more if they are needed, there are several stores near by. I am definitely getting the Bentley, unless somebody local is willing to help me out that's done it before. Food, beer and etc is on me during the process ofcourse.

I was looking at German Auto Parts, DieselGeek.com(little bonus here is some extra items they give you), MetalManParts.com(rents out the tools, so I wouldnt need to buy), and idparts.com.

What has me confused is the slight differences between all the kits. Some have non stretch bolts, some do. I am not entirely sure why they would differ, or if it makes a difference in the operation of the car under normal daily driving conditions. If you guys know that certain ones are bad and I should stay away, please let me know, I'd appreciate it. There's some brand names that I'm unfamiliar with, so I'm not sure if theyre okay to use or if there's only certain ones that should go on these cars.

As all this is happening I also plan to figure out why it's not spittin water on m windshield(not a major problem) and get it straight piped at the same time.

Any help/advice/usefull info/links appreciated as always. Thanks in advance.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
You are going to need the metalnerd timing belt tool set. Some people rent them out around here which sounds like a good option for you.

115K, OEM TB system, 11MM pump on a 02 is really pushing it. Do not drive the car.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I've installed both the dieselgeek and metalman TB kits. Both are excellent, with everything you need. I'm sure IDparts kit is great, just haven't had the pleasure.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Like others have said, make this a priority.

Keep in mind you will need a Vagcom to set the injection pump timing. If you are lucky someone in your area will have one and can help you out. If not, its going to cost you. In my case it was easier to pay my guru the couple hundred bucks and be done with it for the next 100k miles.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
the OEM belts at 115kmi. That's 30kmi past due. That's pushin' it. I have a 2002 GLS w/auto tranny.
pushing it yeah....technically the belt change on that was shortened to much less I want to say something like 80k or 60k for a 2002 with an auto. :eek:

as far as a timing belt kit goes I went with the dieselgeek deluxe 100k mile kit. very pleased.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Those vendors support TDIclub and helps keep the site free for all of us.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Those vendors support TDIclub and helps keep the site free for all of us.
Not only that, but when you buy from one of those vendors you are supporting real American people, and families...genuinely good people who are helping keep your costs to a minimum, and your poor TDI out of the corporate clutches of the stealerships.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
all vendors here offer quality products. I have installed DieselGeeks ALH and BEW belts kit and also a kit for a BEw from IDParts.com. no problems with any of them.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
just make sure it doesn't have Rothenbocker engineering or from www.dieselvw.com. I bought a kit from them to save money......and a 1000 dollars later after a head rebuild, TB break and every other part failing from him. This was one of the only times that I truly went "cheap" because I know better. I've bought several parts from ID parts and they are great. Whatever vendor you choose from here will be great.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I used a IDparts kit last time for my ALH and this time around I got a boraparts kit. No complaints with either one. I am currently sitting at around 90K on the idparts kit and it held up perfect. I went with a boraparts kit this time because they offered the Dayco HD belt and IDparts did not. Not sure if it makes much of a difference though.

ProStreetDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I purchased a kit for my PD last week. The local parts store wanted over $340 with a discount for a kit and I got it at DieselGeek for $280 including shipping.