Help me spend my money

Cabrales

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003, green
I've been toying with the idea of buying the Ross-Tech Vagcom to use with my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon. I don't know much about OBD's, so no matter how many times I read the information on their website, I am still not sure which is the one I need/is best for me. Here is the list/price information (I've left out the expensive professional ones):

VAG-COM License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface $349.00
VAG-COM License with HEX-COM+CAN Interface $329.00
VAG-COM License with Micro-CAN Interface $249.00
VAG-COM License with KEY-USB Interface $249.00
[FONT=&quot]VAG-COM License with KEY-COM Interface $229.00

I know the difference between USB & COM, and I'll probably get the USB type. But what's the difference between the $349 Hex, the $249 Micro, and the $249 Key? Will they all work with my 2003 Jetta? Is there a reason to go with the more expensive one?[/FONT]

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Cabrales said:
[FONT=&quot]I know the difference between USB & COM, and I'll probably get the USB type. But what's the difference between the $349 Hex, the $249 Micro, and the $249 Key? Will they all work with my 2003 Jetta? Is there a reason to go with the more expensive one?[/FONT]
The Micro-CAN won't work at all with your vehicle:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/golfjetta.html

The KEY-USB is what I'd recommend unless you planned to buy or work on a Mk5 model.

Cabrales

Veteran Member
TDI
So the only difference between the $249 and $349 option is the model year? Does the more expensive one have additional features or works better/faster?

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Cabrales said:
So the only difference between the $249 and $349 option is the model year? Does the more expensive one have additional features or works better/faster?
For use with your vehicle, you wouldn't notice any significant differences between the two. In some models (like the PD TDI's) you could get significantly faster datalogging with the HEX, but in yours it's about the same.

Cabrales

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I guess I now have no excuse but to spend my cold hard $$$. Tomo, I remember your call. I answered my cell phone and there was funny noises. I'll give you a call later on today.