Mufflerectomy & O2 sensor & CEL

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
I am ready to do a new 2.5 straight pipe exhaust from the turbo back elimintaing the cat and all, but when I remove the O2 sensor plug, I get a CEL. How do I eliminate this, and will removing the O2 sensors(2) cause any issues with performance?
Bill
96 Passat TDI Wagon

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
To eliminate that problem ... leave the catalyst and the sensors in place. There is next to no restriction in performance from the catalyst as long as it's not clogged, so leave it there.

Blacka4502

Is there more noise if the cat is pulled? You would think that cat would muffle some sound. Sound can be good or bad. i am curious....

Blacka4502

MOST diesel trucks have not cat. there is NO O2!!!

Stille begs the question, IS you TDI more throaty without the cat. How much is it so?

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Maybe I'm wrong but there are 2 sensors screwed into the cat with wires attached looks like O2 sensors to me, when I unplug them the check engine light come on. I want to install a complete exhaust removing the rusty cat and all and was checking for CEL issues before I remove the cat.
I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it done, but not until I figure out what to do with the sensors to prevent the CEL from coming on. I'm sure someone has done this.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They are temperature sensors, not O2 sensors. The ECU has to see a signal from these in order to be happy (as you are finding out). The easiest, most reliable, most environmentally friendly, and absent-of-any-disadvantages solution is to leave the catalyst and sensors in place! There is very little power to be found in a TDI by changing the exhaust system ...

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
My biggest reason for changing the entire exhaust is because its all rusty and old and pieces of rusty metal flaps around in the wind and clanks up against the body when I start up or shut down with the engine vibration. I'm sure the cat is nearly clogged with 140k miles on it so why not trash it all and start all over. Can the sensors be bypassed or do they have to be sensing something??