TDI Ranger Build

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
what about using a bhw mani or a 1.6 trapezoid or even an AAZ manifold?... all will place the turbo up higher than your current config and may afford you more space around that massive :eek: hvac unit

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
got a no-ac heater box for a second gen somewhere around here

had to go to arizona to find one in a junkyard, how's that work?
Well, I was there anyways and couldn't resist visiting the yards to drool on the shiny brand new metal from the seventies.
As far as I know the non-ac heater box will only work on the up to 1994 trucks.

Here is what the boxes look like next to one another.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
what about using a bhw mani or a 1.6 trapezoid or even an AAZ manifold?... all will place the turbo up higher than your current config and may afford you more space around that massive :eek: hvac unit
Isn't this what I'm showing in my second series of pictures? (BHW manifold)

With the shape of the HVAC box it seems to me that moving up doesn't really gain you anything. Move down and you can get underneath it but now you're running into turbo drain line issues. IMO key is moving the turbo forward so the hotside isn't trying to sit in the same plane as the HVAC box. Most of the common exhaust manifolds that I've seen put the turbo connection between cylinders 2 & 3. As you can see in the tubular manifold pictures it is placing the turbo connection at or forward of cyl 2.

ben2go

TDI
none
doh!... yes i see it now.... thought it was a chopped off ALH mani ;)

Is there a picture list of all the different manifolds for the various variants of the 1.9TDI?It would be nice to have for us swapers.We could pick n choose which mani will work best for our applications.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
As far as I know the non-ac heater box will only work on the up to 1994 trucks.

Here is what the boxes look like next to one another.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/medium/B7EE46BE-FE24-4E18-8704-58201B2FF087-2904-000003C50B92392C.jpg][/QUOTE]
Huh, interesting. Explains perfectly the ranger that comes in with nearly 500k miles, no-a/c 4cyl 5spd 2wd

has a heater box that looks like the normal A/C model, but with tabs covering over the holes where the evaporator lines would go.
[QUOTE="ben2go, post: 5121546, member: 423372"]Is there a picture list of all the different manifolds for the various variants of the 1.9TDI?It would be nice to have for us swapers.We could pick n choose which mani will work best for our applications.[/QUOTE]
If you've got a welder, plenty of gasoline 8V 2.0 motors in mk4 cars got a tubular tri-Y style header.
Real easy to chop up and reconfigure.
The other style was two clamshell pieces stamped from steel and welded together. Easy to tell the difference at a glance in the junkyard.

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
I've been scratching my head over my future ranger '01 TDI swap.I want to keep my A/C and heater right where it is,and also keep my compressor where it is.My A/C system works so good since new,I hate to crack it open.
I don't want to hijack this thread.

I am going to wait a few weeks and start an actual build thread but will upload a picture to my gallery for now on mine.

At this point, I have a rough A/C mount built to use the '02 Ranger 2.3 compressor mounted high on the passenger side done without breaking the system. Also running the Ranger alternator because of interference with the rack.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Progress update

I made up a couple wood templates to see what angle would work best with the manifold. I then modeled up the adapter profile and matched that angle.

3D printed the model to double check fitment.

Looks like I won't have to touch the compressor outlet. Very lucky!

There is only one spot that the tooling won't able to get to on the inside radius. I'll blend this by hand.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wow that looks better on the computer compared to the small picture on my phone! Nice work!

aadonline

TDI
01 Jetta ALH Automatic
I made up a couple wood templates to see what angle would work best with the manifold. I then modeled up the adapter profile and matched that angle.

3D printed the model to double check fitment.

Looks like I won't have to touch the compressor outlet. Very lucky!

There is only one spot that the tooling won't able to get to on the inside radius. I'll blend this by hand.

Nice Work !

Esprit CAM has a port machining procedure.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
green gawker-that needs to be in a museum! Or on a desk. Make two. You have some skills! Self taught or machinist school?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
green gawker-that needs to be in a museum! Or on a desk. Make two. You have some skills! Self taught or machinist school?
I wish I had those type of skills! My machinist skills (if you can call them that) are limited to a manual mill and lathe and fairly simple parts. :eek:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Another trip to Argentina, another opportunity to covet thy distant neighbor's crew cab Ranger...

Among other awesome trucks that we don't get stateside.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The smaller Onan in the truck bed will serve as a standby generator for my home and the larger Perkins I'm planning on donating to a tech college.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Please be careful with that...I definitely don't think you'll want to implement this anywhere near (upstream or downstream) a paper filter element.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Just stick it right in the intake manifold and I wouldn't worry at all. Theres a long enough intake tract to keep it safe.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Just stick it right in the intake manifold and I wouldn't worry at all. Theres a long enough intake tract to keep it safe.
7.3 IDI is naturally aspirated, filter's right above the intake just like on a carb/tbi motor