B4 96 Passat Vacuum Pump

Croghanite

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat & '97 Passat
Just got thru changing out the seal to my oil cooler and It seems the vacumm pump above it to the right is leaking oil as well.

Bently only shows one o ring where is meets the crankcase. Do y'all think thats the culprit?

Anything I need to know before I pull it off?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
In the 4 years I've owned my Passat, I think I have only heard of ONE failed vacuum pump.

How many miles on this engine/car? I don't know if the vacuum pump internal seals/parts are available. I'll take a look, later today.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
According to vagcat.com, there is a seal in the top of the vacuum pump that can be replaced: N90415901 1stvwparts.com lists the seal for <$2 You may be able to source it from your local dealer for a similar price.

Tony

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
I also had an oil leak from my vacuum pump a few years ago. Replaced the o-ring under the top "lid". No problems since. Cheap easy repair.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Re. 1Z TDI Vacuum Pump & Oil Leak

Thanks guys. I didn't replace that seal when I did the swap - just left it intact. I thought I lost my rear main crankshaft seal the way it leaked all of a sudden. But now, upon eyeballing the leak source, it looks like it may be a slightly easier fix. Vacuum remains ok, thankfully. Perhaps just the vacuum pump top seal under the "lid" - PN N90415901. Thanks Tonyjetta! $3.49 works.

Hope I don't need a new one! $259! http://www.partsplaceinc.com/produc...ord=VW++TDI+Vacuum+Pump+028-145-101&sku=16432

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Is this a simple take the bolts out,lift cover off,replace o-ring and bolt it back up? Nothing will fly out when you take cover off,or nothing that is vacuum related will get messed up? Mine seems to be leaking oil,but I believe I bought an o-ring a while back-just need to find it:eek:....

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Mine was leaking a little while back at the pump-to-block o-ring. I replaced it and the top cover seal at the same time. Took maybe 15 minutes.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Re. 1Z TDI vacuum pump top cap & pump-to-block o-rings

Cool. I have the o-ring for the top cap coming - might as well get the pump-to-block o-ring, too. Anyone recall that name or part number?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Changed mine out last night. The old o-ring came out in pieces as I was trying to remove it. 1/4" drive,long extension,short 10mm socket and swivel connection to remove 3 bolts.I found that the 2 closest to engine-loosen them,then get one of those little grabber things w/claws that come out to retrieve things in tight spaces work great for taking out/starting the bolts back in those 2 rear holes.Next time I order from IDParts I'll get one of the bottom seals.

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
How do you get the vacuum pump out to replace the bottom O-ring VW# N 904 146 01? I tried pulling mine up after removing the yoke bolt and clamp with no success last night. I have an oil leak at the bottom of it and assume it is the bottom O--ring or is there another seal in there that should be replaced after 21 years on the job? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You'll have to pry it out. Undoubtedly the old o-ring is rock hard so now it's actually helping to keep the vac pump in place.

Steve

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Thanks guys, will get on it now

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
There should be 2 o-rings and an oil seal in the shaft.

-Todd

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced the upper and lower o-rings as that is all I had. Thanks for the encouragement to pull it up, as it pays to defer to prior experience with older cars!

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced the upper and lower o-rings as that is all I had. Thanks for the encouragement to pull it up, as it pays to defer to prior experience with older cars!

The lower o-ring in the pic is the new one, thanks for the help and will see how it works after getting the turbo intake back together after intake manifold cleaning.