Am I crazy for considering buying another (to then turn in)?

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Am I the only one thinking of flipping a TDI? Or am I missing something in the proposed buy-back terms that prevents that?

I found a pretty good deal on a local car that could be bought and turned in for several thousand dollars.

Crazy? Thanks.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
No, you aren't the only one thinking of it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's done it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
You and previous owner split it......bought after 9/15/15, you only get a percentage,not full value. Not gospel,I read it in a news article-I'd do some research before doing it.I'm curious on how all the used ones for sale now at used car dealers will shake out.....

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
There are at least a few threads discussing this in more detail in the Dieselgate forum. In short, an owner who sells after 6/28 gets nothing, and there's at least a fair argument that a post-6/28 buyer gets full buyback.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
You and previous owner split it......bought after 9/15/15, you only get a percentage,not full value. Not gospel,I read it in a news article-I'd do some research before doing it.I'm curious on how all the used ones for sale now at used car dealers will shake out.....

This doesn't sound right. How do they get paid? What if it's from a dealer...?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
You must have a big driveway! I think my neighbors would be a bit irritated (but I am thinking about it!)
Not big enough...heh. Do what you gotta do. Early bird gets the worm. Pay no attention to any sob stories.

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
so how does this work? I have access to some cash in hand and flipping sounds good...

-are the settlements happening right now? or is it buy and wait?
-are you buying from people or dealers?

I don't think I will be stepping on anyone's toes if I buy a few I think there are enough.. for dieselgate talk im not referring to how much will I get back... I already know the numbers are in my favor if I buy cheap.. I would like to know the buying side please

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Not big enough...heh. Do what you gotta do. Early bird gets the worm. Pay no attention to any sob stories.

You've tagged and insured all of those cars your picking up? If not, I would make extra sure that they would qualify. I am sure buried deep in the court documents on page xxxx, subsection yyyy, paragraph zzz, that there is a some clause about trading in mulitple TDI's purchase after Sept 2015. Otherwise why wouldn't a use car dealer pick them up at auctions and such...

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
You've tagged and insured all of those cars your picking up? If not, I would make extra sure that they would qualify. I am sure buried deep in the court documents on page xxxx, subsection yyyy, paragraph zzz, that there is a some clause about trading in mulitple TDI's purchase after Sept 2015. Otherwise why wouldn't a use car dealer pick them up at auctions and such...
All titled, registered and insured. All titles verified as clean, and all VINs verified as eligible vehicles prior to purchase. Luckily I can store a couple at my place of employment, which is gated with video. I haven't found any text in the settlement docs which sets a limit on the number of vehicles any one person can turn-in, so I'll continue buying if the price is right.

MKVI_TDI

TDI
2012 MKVI Golf
Just be careful because if the previous owner owned the car when dieselgate broke then you will likely be splitting the buyback with the previous owner. It seems that even applies if the previous owner traded it in to a dealer.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Just be careful because if the previous owner owned the car when dieselgate broke then you will likely be splitting the buyback with the previous owner. It seems that even applies if the previous owner traded it in to a dealer.
you will only be splitting the restitution portion. Current owner will receive fill buyback amount + 50% restitution + up to 50% of eligible seller's restitution depending how many eligible sellers come forward

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
As long as settlement stays similar to current form, it is an easy way to profit off of those paying no attention. I have the funds but no space to store cars so someone else can have my share.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
If you buy it after the june 28th announcement, the previous owner gets zilch.
unless it has changed hands 2+ times, then whoever owned it as of the news breaking last September but sold prior to 6/28/16 is entitled to 50% restitution as an eligible seller

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I certainly don't think you're crazy. If you're crazy that makes two of us.

I love my TDI and plan to replace it with another one.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
So I did end up buying a 2015 Golf TDI SEL with 100k mi on it in Nov 17. Very clean car and drives great. I filled out the claim paperwork and was denied twice (once on appeal). Any thoughts as to why? (I’m sure I’m missing some legit reason...purchase date?)
The Phase 1 had been done and I just got Phase 2 done.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It was denied for buyback because the fix (Phase 1) had already been done. It's been known since the outset that it was either/or, not one and then the other. Once the fix was in process, no more buyback.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
It was denied for buyback because the fix (Phase 1) had already been done. It's been known since the outset that it was either/or, not one and then the other. Once the fix was in process, no more buyback.

And I knew that... #facepalm

Thanks!

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
But, on the upside, you now own a great car with an outstanding warranty!

Thanks! I have been happy with it over the last 12-13 months. After I get the TB and WP done it should be smooth sailing for some time to come.

Clarkstom

TDI
2003 Golf
Am I the only one thinking of flipping a TDI? Or am I missing something in the proposed buy-back terms that prevents that?
I found a pretty good deal on a local car that could be bought and turned in for several thousand dollars.
Crazy? Thanks.
You're not alone :D
So everything went well?

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
That's what I did with the one I'm driving now. Jsw flooded in Harvey bought a 2014 Jetta got the resitutuon then straight piped it. Cost me 3500 about after vw gave me $.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk