What did you do to your MK7 today?

Echo_Alpha

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, GSW TDI
agreed with your assumptions.

I don't think that IC coolant pump is running all the time (or at least 100% all the time), so if loading is low IAT dont require the pump to work or work as hard. Soon as you push it that pump prob ramps to 100% and that's where you notice the leak.
I appreciate the second look! I wasn't keen on the idea of having to pull that core. It's been frustrating because of the intermittency. I should have time in a day or two when I can try to get the job done and see if it corrects the issue.

Do you still have an EGR?
I do, it's the Kerma CR190 kit. I'm pretty happy with the performance, though I would like to get rid of the EGR. I've been digging through threads, looking for confirmation that it might be possible to dial back the use of EGR, though my understanding is that the EGR can't be fully blocked unless the DPF is completely deleted. The day after I got to do some logging runs, I had a code for excessive regen cycles pop up so that's definitely on the list, too.

Just FYI (seeing that you're new), if you click the little camera icon at the top of the compose window (or CTRL+P / COMMAND+P) you can right-click on those images over at ibb.co, "COPY IMAGE ADDRESS", then paste the URL you get there into "add image" pop-up here, then your images show up inline (and are easily resized by dragging the corners.
Thanks, I'll use that next time!

WillD

TDI
2015 GSW CRUA
Not as fancy as the 9.2 inch screen but I retrofit a MIB2 into my Sportwagen. I bought an 8" screen as well but the LCD was smashed, waiting on a replacement panel to fix it.

Last edited:

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
Not today, but last week I loaded up my TDI with 5 mountain bikes and drove to Utah for a mountain bike vacation with some friends.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You need to get some helper airbags for those poor rear springs if you're gonna tote that much on the car. And then if you have "some friends" along in the rear seats as well....
(For the record, I heartily endorse the five-bikes-on-a-car lifestyle! 👍)

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Replaced headlight bulbs. I have to hand it to DeAutoLed…. I contacted them just to attempt to figure out what I bought from them around 2016 so I could buy another one. I was surprised when they said they had a lifetime warranty and sent me new bulbs (reverse and headlights) for the price of shipping. Also did engine and trans oil today.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Replaced headlight bulbs. I have to hand it to DeAutoLed…. I contacted them just to attempt to figure out what I bought from them around 2016 so I could buy another one. I was surprised when they said they had a lifetime warranty and sent me new bulbs (reverse and headlights) for the price of shipping. Also did engine and trans oil today.

I've been curious about upgrades and checked out their site.

Their disclaimer notes low beams are not legal for sale in the US. Did you get something for the lows or just everything else?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are some pretty good LED options available now at Amazon / AliX. Don't expect to find them at the cheapest price point, though.
Spending ~$20/pr generally gets you pretty good results; brands like KaTur or Oxilam have been good to me.

Also, look at exactly what LED chips are used, then see what kind of power and lumen output they have.
Not an exhaustive chart, but this at least illustrates how a 3020 and 3030 SMD are vastly different in terms of brightness.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@mayday_soc I don't need a winter setup where I live and I run RSE05s. Lightweight, look good, and they accommodate big brakes with no need for a spacer. They're fantastic.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
@Cuzoe I agree, not even close to needing spacers. Definitely a little close to the top and bottom of the caliper tho. So close I would only put balancing weights on the inside of the wheel. I like the extra chonk on the tires too compared to my rse10 18 inch summers.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I am looking forward to my current tires wearing out so that I can get some real meat on there. I would have to go to the car and verify but I know I got something lower profile than what I wanted. At the time the car was lowered on B8s with H&Rs and I was rubbing.

That setup was ultimately too low and too stiff for me. So now I'm at stock height and I've got plenty of room for more sidewall.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
its almost half way through december and i still haven't put winter tires on either rides, i keep seeing 50's in the forecast :(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A couple years ago I switched two cars to all seasons with severe snow ratings. My Wagon has Michelin Cross-Climate 2s, and my Golf has Nokian WR-G4s. I haven't driven the Nokians in the snow yet, but the Michelins do well enough. Not as good as dedicated snows, but here near the coast we don't seem to get enough snow to worry about that.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I've been curious about upgrades and checked out their site.

Their disclaimer notes low beams are not legal for sale in the US. Did you get something for the lows or just everything else?
When I bought them years ago I don't think that had that disclaimer. I have their DRL's, Reverse lights and low beam's. It might be a high low combo I really don't remember much in regards to them. I have just been super pleased with the customer service. I will say that I doubt I paid the current price for all the lights but again....maybe I did.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Threw a P203B code for a the DEF level sensor fault at 151,000 miles. The dealer ordered a new tank but claimed to be unaware of an issues with backorders. They told me I could continue driving it while they wait for it to come in. However they couldn't promise the car wont strand me somewhere if it decides the tank is empty. I am still not sure how this will impact my state inspection with the CEL present or if I can get by with just clearing it.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Does your state connect to OBD to check readiness? If you clear the CEL your readiness monitors will likely reset. You'll have to some driving to set them, during which time your CEL could be back.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Does your state connect to OBD to check readiness? If you clear the CEL your readiness monitors will likely reset. You'll have to some driving to set them, during which time your CEL could be back.
Massachusetts does a OBD readiness check. I just looked it up and you can have 1 non-continuous monitor. I forget what the VCDS showed for number or faults recorded or fault time but I have a feeling the CEL will be coming back.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Threw a P203B code for a the DEF level sensor fault at 151,000 miles. The dealer ordered a new tank but claimed to be unaware of an issues with backorders. They told me I could continue driving it while they wait for it to come in. However they couldn't promise the car wont strand me somewhere if it decides the tank is empty. I am still not sure how this will impact my state inspection with the CEL present or if I can get by with just clearing it.
Those tanks are in the top 25 backordered parts at VW right now. Co-worker's cousin ended up selling his Golf back to VW last year because they couldn't come up with a replacement tank. If you like the car I'd start looking for a wreck and harvest the tank.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Replaced the valve cover due to some oil weepage. 2-3hr job at most. The inside of the engine looked amazing, zero wear. Like pristine for 70k miles, Really impressed on that.

This afternoon had the boost hose blow up on me during hard acceleration...sounded like a gunshot under the hood. The rubber split from the inner fabric weave. Can't really even hear a leak but looks like the part number for that is 04L145828D. Hard to source and has to be ordered, I wonder if a generic silicone coupler with a 45 degree bend would work.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Replaced the valve cover due to some oil weepage. 2-3hr job at most. The inside of the engine looked amazing, zero wear. Like pristine for 70k miles, Really impressed on that.

This afternoon had the boost hose blow up on me during hard acceleration...sounded like a gunshot under the hood. The rubber split from the inner fabric weave. Can't really even hear a leak but looks like the part number for that is 04L145828D. Hard to source and has to be ordered, I wonder if a generic silicone coupler with a 45 degree bend would work.
Not so hard. We could get it in a day. https://www.idparts.com/turbocharger-outlet-hose-cruacvca-04l145828d-p-16373.html

So could your local dealer, most likely.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I took the snows on new steel rims I recently purchased on Marketplace back off and put the Altimax RT45 tires I purchased in spring on. I felt a subtle vibration in steering wheel after I installed them, rotated front to back and it was a little better but still there. I'll go get them re-balanced and see if any weren't properly done or tire/rim problem...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Checked the car with VCDS- car stalled on me again Tuesday night, threw a CEL. Next day CEL went out on its own after the second startup. P2149 once again. Last time in spring it was #2 injector, so it was replaced. Says injector 2 once again. Also says the reductant injector is stuck closed. Going in tomorrow for oil change and fuel filter change....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well well well :mad: :mad: :mad: While at dealer waiting for the oil and fuel filter change, service advisor comes to me and informs me I won't be able to drive my car home, the tech found metal flakes in the fuel filter housing and top of the pump:mad::mad:( has 119,7XX miles). He said it's gonna need the entire fuel system from tank to the front and it's going to take a few weeks for the parts. Said they also have another TDI there for the same thing. I was gonna have to drop it off next week for them to diagnose the car when their TDI techs were there, so don't have to do that now🙄. I don't think they changed filter back in spring when they replaced the #2 injector, I wonder if there would've been anything in housing then. Glad I've been going to them since the 90k service. Said it was going to be covered under the warranty, just hope it goes smoothly. The loaner I got was a '23 VW Arteon R-line with 4motion (think it's an SEL)that only had 1735 miles on it:cool:. Avg mpg is 24.5, I think he said it takes 91 octane:(. He said it was closest thing to my car that they had:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ugh - sorry to hear about your fuel system and being forced into a.....OK, well, except for the crappy fuel economy....not a bad trade-off. ;)
(I wouldn't be quite so flippant if this wasn't being covered under warranty - glad to hear everything you're being well taken care of.)