Going to dealer tomorrow

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
After driving my new to me 2015 Sportwagen close to 1,000 miles this week I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked over. Although I will do my own maintenance and repairs, when I first acquire a late model car I always take it to the dealer at least once to have it looked at, and if any warranty is still in force, to get repairs of said warrantied items. That said my standard 30/36 warranty is expired but I believe these cars also have a 6/60 power-train warranty. I found a note on the last oil change receipt from a quick lube place that stated "oil leak". The car is dry as a bone underneath but the lower cover could be catching it, if there is indeed a leak. Question is does anyone know if the power-train warranty covers leaks? Also, are there any common leak areas on this engine?

Also the service manager told me on the phone they show Phase 1 and phase 2 being completed on this vehicle but Carfax only shows a "emissions software update" in June, nothing more so I don't believe they did phase two. Was phase two even available in June??

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Well I visited the dealer hopefully for the first and last time. Did the 30K service plus cabin filter and air filter. My service adviser was a valley girl and I was disappointed when she didn't understand that diesel rated oil is different from gasoline engine oil, she said all cars use 5W/40 now:confused: She also told me on my next interval it will be time for spark plugs:confused::confused: I am not making this up. She also said people get 100K on the brakes on these cars and I don't know if that is true or not. The mechanics seemed to know a bit more although they were quite lethargic and were sitting on stools when I went back there. The two working on mine probably didn't total more than 40 years of age if you added them both together. The good news is the car is in great shape.
The better news is that I will be doing the maintenance myself from now on, as long as I am able. If anything comes up that I can't handle I will take it to an independent that I stopped by after leaving the dealership where they were very knowledgeable and full of advice. Very sharp guys with a great reputation. I would post a link but I don't want to violate any forum rules.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
why would you want to get your car checked by THIS? let alone the jiffy lube?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would have just asked for another service advisor that was more knowledgeable and a discussion with the mechanic assigned to work on my vehicle. Age also doesn't necessarily mean they don't know anything. It just means they are young. Just as being able to talk the talk doesn't mean they do good work or won't cheat you. Being that the dealer is going to be the one to do any warranty work you need done, you should at least try and find a workable solution there if possible. Use the ind. mechanic for non covered maintenance as well to judge their performance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure what you were trying to accomplish here. In the past I've had cars about to leave warranty inspected by independent mechanics, and then had the issues fixed by the dealer. But I'd be reluctant to have a dealer diagnose warranty work unless something was obviously wrong.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ummm, if they put 5w-40 in it, they used the wrong oil:eek:- common rails use the 507.00, and I believe only 5w-30 has that rating, just look in the fuel and oil section to see what brands... I'm somewhat confident so far in dealer I use...

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Ummm, if they put 5w-40 in it, they used the wrong oil:eek:- common rails use the 507.00, and I believe only 5w-30 has that rating, just look in the fuel and oil section to see what brands... I'm somewhat confident so far in dealer I use...
The oil they put in today was VW part #G0521951BDSP (LL03) The service adviser thought they used 5W/40 in everything but we got that straightened out.

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
why would you want to get your car checked by THIS? let alone the jiffy lube?

I didn't take it to a jiffy lube, the wholesale dealer that I bought the car from did. Not sure what you mean by "why would you want to get your car checked by THIS?" do you mean the dealer? Like I said I always take them to the dealer the first time, to get in the system and make sure everything is done that should have been done.....wouldn't the dealer be the place for that?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I would have just asked for another service advisor that was more knowledgeable and a discussion with the mechanic assigned to work on my vehicle.
I thought of that and it is what I will do if I go back. Then there is another dealer I could go to if I need to, we have 2 in Tucson. I did speak to the mechanic but like I said first it was one guy then another one finished and they just didn't seem to want to be there that day.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not sure what you were trying to accomplish here. In the past I've had cars about to leave warranty inspected by independent mechanics, and then had the issues fixed by the dealer. But I'd be reluctant to have a dealer diagnose warranty work unless something was obviously wrong.
Kind of exactly what I was saying. Try to work with the dealer and find if there are any reliable people there to work with. Find an independent mechanic that is knowledgeable and trustworthy. Use the IM for those things that don't require warranty issues. Use the dealer when they do. Also trying to point out that youth doesn't necessarily mean ignorant. I have met some young people that are very well trained and do excellent work.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Trust but verify, best advise for a VW owner. Prob the best thing you did was change the oil from the jiffy lube place with 507 spec oil at the dealer.

Did the dealer shed any light on the "oil leak" reported by the jiffy lube? The oil filter is a bit of a messy pig on the '15s so maybe they noticed prior filter changes still weeping out. The belly pan does collect quite a bit of weeping before it give a tell tail sign on your driveway/garage.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Trust but verify, best advise for a VW owner. Prob the best thing you did was change the oil from the jiffy lube place with 507 spec oil at the dealer.

Did the dealer shed any light on the "oil leak" reported by the jiffy lube?
They said there was no evidence of a leak

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Also trying to point out that youth doesn't necessarily mean ignorant. I have met some young people that are very well trained and do excellent work.
I wasn't trying to say that, just that these guys were not very enthusiastic and they happened to be very young. I have met old farts who were equally non-enthusiastic about their job. I have also met young people who were very sharp, but if someone isn't willing to communicate with you then it's pretty tough to know how skilled they may be, or how conscientious they might be. Not trying too infer that young means ignorant at all.:)

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I didn't take it to a jiffy lube, the wholesale dealer that I bought the car from did. Not sure what you mean by "why would you want to get your car checked by THIS?" do you mean the dealer? Like I said I always take them to the dealer the first time, to get in the system and make sure everything is done that should have been done.....wouldn't the dealer be the place for that?
not always, especially after so many red flags. Yes, by THIS i meant the dealer staff, not sure where I got the Jiffy lube, probably the assumption, my apologies

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I have a lot on my plate, and going to the dealer I was able to get a lot accomplished in a hurry. They got rid of the Jiffy Lube oil, flushed the brakes, changed cabin filter and engine air filter topped off the DEF and did the 30K inspection whatever that's worth. Now that I have had time for research, and finding a good local Indie, they will likely only see the vehicle now for warranty/recall work. Getting the right oil in there asap was the biggest concern for me.