06 BRM TDI repeated hard stalling and now no start

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
Yesterday after approximately a 30 mile trip with no issues I pulled into my driveway and left the car idling while eating lunch. After about 5 minutes the car suddenly died. When I tried to restart multiple times the tach bounced around but the starter wouldn't engage. It was raining and I thought maybe something got shorted since my belly pan is missing. Later that night I attempted again and it started fine but I didn't drive it. Today I attempted to start it and had to crank for around 30 seconds to get it to start. When I went to shift gears the car hard stalled at higher rpms. This was an intermittent issue for about 20 miles and finally it started happening more frequently and also at lower RPMs. Sometimes it would seem to first lose power before stalling. I ended up stranded a few miles from my house. I towed it home and now it won't start at all. I pulled the fuel filter and didnt notice any air in the system. I can hear the lift pump turn on for 2 seconds when I turn the ignition on. I have had a camshaft no signal code and a fuel temp sensor short to positive for the last 5K miles, but there are no new codes after running a vcds scan. Any advice would be much appreciated.