Crank but no start

Plastervan

TDI
Vw golf 1.9 tdi
Hi all,
New to here and my first post. its agreat site you have here . have read many post b4 writing this post and gained some understanding of where to trouble shoot with the cars problem. I am not a mechanic or a diy er normally but the other halves golf has left me in this predicament .
Vw Golf 1.9 tdi 1998. 90,000 miles. Off the road now for 3 weeks.
It Will crank but won't fire. Our regular mechanic has tried but can not fix it. Had it to vw dealer , they said it had no error codes and that the timing was fine. To expensive to leave it with them for more work so towed it home.
Glow plg light comes on and goes off as normal. Battery seams good. We have check all the fuses. Replaced the 109 relay. Put a new EGR valve on. Replaced all four glow plugs. Changed shut off valve. Replaced engine crank shaft sensor.. Opened up a couple of injectors and cranked and fuel comes out.
Really struggling where to go from here, any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Marc

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
regardless of seeing fuel at the injectors I'd still look at fuel delivery.

Timing is known good mechanically.
GPs are irrelevant at current temperatures

The antishudder valve is definitely open?
No chance of a bad batch of fuel?

I'd replace the fuel filter and re-prime; and try again. Even an unprimed system will show fuel at the injectors, but if it's all working correctly a slightly loosened injector line should squirt fuel strongly...

Plastervan

TDI
Vw golf 1.9 tdi
Yes the anti sudder valve is definitely open. The fuel should be ok. I will do the fuel filter and re prime. Then post back with result:
No other issues recently with the car no. It's did this about 3 yrs ago, cure was 109 relay.
Then two years ago same thing , had a new fuel pump on and a crack shaft sensor fixed and run fine for past two years. Until now

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Hang a bottle of fuel on the open hood down to the IP and see if it runs that way. If it does then you have a fuel delivery issue from tank to the IP.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I was going to say 109 Relay but, I see it is fairly new. Of course it still could be a bad one. What color was the replacement? If gray I would change it again.

At least I am pretty sure the gray ones are the bad ones. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Gray is Okay.

Black will attack.

Before buying a relay, jump the two main terminals 30 and 85 and see if it runs. If it does, replace the relay. If not continue troubleshooting, starting with how high does the fuel spurt out when cranking?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So you have no high pressure fuel to inject.Are you getting power to the shut-off solenoid?

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Crank position sensor? That could you leave you high and dry and won't necessary through a code. It'll crank all day and not fire. Sometimes they just get covered in grime and a spraying it down with electrical cleaner well get you back up and running.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Have u verified compression/timing? Valves ok?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Yes I'm getting power to the shut off solinoid.
Can you say for sure whether power is staying on? Not certain that that 109 relay isn't bad: supposedly you can jumper around it: would need to look up how that's done.

As Whitedog mentionedd, it sounds like you're not getting high pressure out of the pump. THIS is the issue that needs to be resolved. Possible that the IP has crapped out, but I don't think I'd want to jump to that conclusion.