If I buy a phase 1 fixed car, am I eligible for money when I get phase 2 done?

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
If I buy 2015 TDI Golf that has had phase 1 done, am I eligible to collect phase 2 money when I have phase 2 done?

I am currently shopping and this will definitely impact my buying decision.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
It depends.

If the car was a VW buy-back, then 100% of the restitution was paid out to the original owner who sold it back to VW - on this kind of car, you will not get a restitution payment.

If the car had only Phase 1 done by the original owner, then only 2/3rds of the restitution was paid out thus far. If that owner subsequently sold the vehicle prior to having Phase 2 done, then 1/3rd of the restitution is still on the table available for the next owner. I would say a previous owner would not typically handle their car like this.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
You are suppose to get the second payment, from the second (and final) fix.

Except I was denied, even though I bought back when the final fix was not even available (only first stage fix was done).

VW does whatever they want.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You are suppose to get the second payment, from the second (and final) fix.
Except I was denied, even though I bought back when the final fix was not even available (only first stage fix was done).
VW does whatever they want.

I always assumed once you bought a car with phase 1 you knew what you were getting into and weren't getting any money, whether they knew what phase two was at the time or not. I tried and got denied, but I knew there was a good chance that'd happen. I'm fine with it also.

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
No. VW denied my claim on my 2015 Passat that only had Phase 1 done when I purchased it.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I also got denied on my 15 GSW, did file an appeal. With my second car it wouldn’t even let me file a claim with that vin. We’ll see what CRC says. (CRC did side with me before on 2 of my claims for buybacks). From my understanding if stage 1 fix was done by an owner you qualify. If it was a dealer or a buyback with stage 1 only you won’t qualify for restitution and it won’t even let you open a claim with that vin.

Can anyone point out specifically from the contract why it would be denied?

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I didn’t own the car when the scandal broke, I wasn’t expecting any restitution as they already paid the full buyback amount on this VIN.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I didn’t own the car when the scandal broke, I wasn’t expecting any restitution as they already paid the full buyback amount on this VIN.
You are eligible for the fix but not restitution, all you need is to provide the claim number to schedule an appointment with the dealer even if it’s a denied claim.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
You are eligible for the fix but not restitution, all you need is to provide the claim number to schedule an appointment with the dealer even if it’s a denied claim.
I work as a consultant with my local dealer, they treat me very well. They have my Phase 2 scheduled for 8/23. I had to put it off a bit so I would have 40,001 or more miles on it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No. VW denied my claim on my 2015 Passat that only had Phase 1 done when I purchased it.
And that is why they denied your claim. VW is only paying once on any given vehicle. If you bought a vehicle that had been bought back, VW already paid out on that vehicle. Phase 1 was already done because they couldn't sell the vehicle without that. Phase 2 is still pending but there's no money in it because they already paid out on that vehicle.

Bear in mind that there still is one incentive to do phase 2 ... it resets your extended emissions warranty (both the time and the mileage). I am not sure if there is a deadline to how long you could delay it and still get this.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I also got denied on my 15 GSW, did file an appeal. With my second car it wouldn’t even let me file a claim with that vin. We’ll see what CRC says. (CRC did side with me before on 2 of my claims for buybacks). From my understanding if stage 1 fix was done by an owner you qualify. If it was a dealer or a buyback with stage 1 only you won’t qualify for restitution and it won’t even let you open a claim with that vin.
Can anyone point out specifically from the contract why it would be denied?
I was denied on the same situation with purchasing a CPO 2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium that had Phase 1 completed before I purchased it back in Nov 2017. I also filled an appeal with the CRC, and received a confirming denied response back from the CRC. I don't think there is anything in the settlement that clearly states why a subsequent owner can be denied. Many in this forum state that an owner previously (on buyback) received the complete payment from VW and that VW has paid all it will ever pay to that owner that sold it back, so no money left on the table for subsequent claims by future owners on the same vehicle.

If you get a different decision by the CRC on your appeal, please let us all know. If they allow one through, they have to allow all.