Scott Krout or Josh Coomes, any experience with either?

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
Hey guys so I recently bought a golf tdi and I live in savannah, ga.

There are two tdi gurus near me. Of course i would rather have Josh coomes work on my tdi since he is in savannah but I haven't heard any feed back on his work. Is he on the forum? I tried looking up the place he works but cannot find it. I havent tried calling him yet since I havent got my car yet. (being shipped as we speak). Is he still in Savannah?

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Josh Coomes?!

I heard good thinks about Scott Krout in jax but thats a 2 hour drive for me. If it comes down to it ill make the drive but i would rather not.

Thanks guys! I only want the best working on my tdi. I will be doing minor repairs but something like a timing belt I want a trained professional doing the job.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
He's on the list because folks thought enough of his work to put him there. Call him and introduce yourself.

revgov

Veteran Member
TDI
2012, 4-dr., Golf
Can't speak to Josh, but Scott has worked on my Y2K Jetta TDI for about the last 5 years. He does good work and is very reasonable.

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
He's on the list because folks thought enough of his work to put him there. Call him and introduce yourself.
Thats what I was thinking as well. How do you get put on the list. Does only one person have to recommend you? I will definitely give him a call.

Can't speak to Josh, but Scott has worked on my Y2K Jetta TDI for about the last 5 years. He does good work and is very reasonable.
Thats what I heard. Scott has a good name going for him. Wish someone had experience with josh that could bump in. Might have to take it down to jax.

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Scott Krout is pretty cool and knows a lot about TDI's.
He also does very good window tinting.

Timing belt is cake, even for me. No problem for Scott!!!

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
While you might be able to ask some pointed questions to form an impression of someone's TDI knowledge over the phone, I think the OP is right to ask for testimonials given the problems many have had with "trusted" mechanics.

I would however had asked this question in the regional forum.

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
Not many people are on the regional section. Thought id try my luck here.

Anyone else has any experience to share?

Ill be getting my tdi in the the week or so. Shippers alittle behind.

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
So through deeper research on here. I have seen people try to get a hold of him and they cant due to him serving in Afghanistan. but that was in 2012. He had a website but its not up anymore. And I cannot find the name of his shop anywhere in savannah. Im gonna call him Monday to see if hes even here in Savannah anymore.

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
Took it to get the timing belt changed and scotts in Jax. As soon as i pull up he noticed a tick. Took out the cam and said it needed replaced. So now ordering cams and lifters and he is not charging me any extra to put them in! Scott knows his stuff and knows the tdi like the back of his hand and will go way beyond your expectations. I highly recommend taking your tdi to scotts. It is definitely worth the drive! I wont let any other mechanic touch my tdi.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Scott knows his stuff and knows the tdi like the back of his hand and will go way beyond your expectations. I highly recommend taking your tdi to scotts. It is definitely worth the drive! I wont let any other mechanic touch my tdi.
When you need a TDI expert, it is worth driving a couple hundred miles.

When you have a non-TDI-related problem or issue, then you don't need a TDI expert and it's okay to use a competent local mechanic.

Tom71662

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Black
My actual boost was considerably higher than specified with lowering mpg's. I had taken it to 5 so called local experts and none could figure it out. I called Scott as a last resort, made the 4 hour drive to see him and he fixed it. Plus a Stage 1 Malone tune.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
If Scott doesn't chime in by Tuesday I'll let him know about this thread. Ill be dropping of my mk4 golf to him for a TB, Clutch, Nozzle and tune.

Scott's the man, I've used him for many years with no concerns ever.

mostinc

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Scott Krout Review

After reading reviews here I ordered the Dieselgeek timing belt kit for my 2004 Passat TDI and arranged for Scott Krout to install. His price was excellent and he did the job with no extras and did it in the appropriate time. No problems and a pleasant experience. Scott advised me that I would need to replace my front Snubber and Intecooler seals and even told me how to do it myself if I wanted. He confessed to limited experience with my exact model car but the work he did was flawless so what he did not know he got answers for while doing the job...if needed. My only wish, which I learned later was that normally the front snubber is changed during timing belt changes by those very experienced with this model VW. This would have saved me $200 later.

I would recommend Scott without hesitation. A word of warning...the best small business mechanics usually have shops with partial engines, cars etc scattered about and appearing unorganized. This may be what to look for to get a good job done! Two out of two experts have proven this.

If in DFW, TX area then check out Brian at Digi Sports in Denton...another great shop for TDIs of all versions!

RE: scottkrout@gmail.com