Quick coolant fill up question! Quick!

Tybrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
hey! just finished an EGR delete, but im refilling the coolant and it isnt going anywhere... even though the engine is close to empty... can i start it up to start filling the coolant?

thanks

Tyler

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
bayshorecs said:
I wouldn't. Get a siphon pump and pull a vacuum on the return to the coolant res.
exactly.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
you are not supposed to fill from the reservoir. You fill from the top radiator hose, then fill radiator, then bottle.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
yeah, sometimes they won't bleed out by themselves... They need a little help.. I've noticed that if the passenger's side of the car is a good amount higher than the driver's side, chances are it will take most of the coolant with the engine off.. Usually I'll give it a little helping hand with the vacuum pump, makes it go a lot easier..

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I just went through this with my Mother's 2000 TDI after installing a DG Delux timing belt kit on (with waterpump). I had no idea either. I filled the reservoir and called it a night and it stayed full all night and did not drain into the block. I then tried filling thru the upper radiator hose and that did not work (I think just the radiator filled up and not the block, I just got about a quart in). And then I posted to this great list.

Someone posted I needed to pull a slight vacuum on the little overflow hose that attaches to the coolant bottle as the bottle is filled. I used my Pella oil extractor and duct taped the Pela hose inside the little coolant hose. It worked perfectly!

--Nate

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I fill through the reservoir with the right side on a jackstand. Pull vacuum on the return line with mity-vac. When I start it, add more to level. Up to temp and the thermostat open for final top off with the car level.