2015 TDI Tuning Options?

SS930

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 A3 TDI
I have a 2015 Audi A3 2.0L TDI (150hp?) I'm considering keeping, rather than giving it back to the factory. I just added coilovers and love the car now, but a little more power is always welcome.

I don't want to do anything that will reduce fuel economy (other than when I lay my foot into it) and I would prefer not to do any hardware mods (turbo, injectors, etc).

Other than Malone, what are my tuning options?

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
If you're worried about reliability, we've designed a tune that does not alter any of the emissions equipment. Some other providers might quietly be doing otherwise, altering EGR or other emissions related units could affect the DPF reliability. Also keep in mind that we test with a dynapack, a hub mounted dyno system used by most of the larger tuners as they're better for development. They're considerably more accurate than dynojets and give honest readouts.

Revo, Unitronic and Kerma have tunes. Not sure why APR offers diesel tunes but can't recommend them, and I'm sure there's a few others.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Many of the tuners do those cars. Rocketchip is one. I've had very good results with him...including 2015 cars.

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
I am interested in this as well. I've been doing some research online and from what I understand tuning is can be done via OBD port using Flashzilla v3. Are there any issues with the tune after the Phase 1 fix? Any impressions/reviews from current users would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, are DSG tunes recommended/required for 2015 models? Can this be done by Flashzilla as well?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Haven't had any problems with post "fix" cars, tuning them daily.

DSG tunes definitely liven the car up and raise the torque limiter, but it's not as intrusive as on the earlier motors. DSG tuning can only be done with the KessV2 through the transmission port located under the air box. We can rent those out for those in remote areas.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
You can't go wrong with any of the tuners that frequent this site. I personally have Malone with flashzilla, as I'll be updating my tune in the future. Kerma offers the same device/service. My car is an absolute joy to drive and fuel economy does not suffer unless you are tempted to use the extra power often.

CiDirkona

TDI
2015 Golf TDI (NAR, post-EPA)
Brand new to TDIs, although I've been playing with FSI/TSI VWs since 2007ish.

Are the tunes available reversible and/or diagnostically invisible? My 2015 TDI is post-dieselgate EPA approved tune, so I have a feeling that the EPA is going to have a tighter focus on these cars. Even the dealer asked me not to modify it right away (they know me well... :D ) as they expect the EPA to follow up with real-world tests.

Thanks in advance!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
If you use a Qpro type device, it's pretty much undetectable as long as you return to stock before you bring it in.

There's a flash counter that increments every time the ecu is flashed or attempted, and theoretically *if* they tracked that between dealer visits it could raise questions. But it's somewhat esoteric and not routinely checked. In 10 years of tuning cars with flash counters, I have not once come across any instance where it was an issue, not even once. This was first a concern with the PD's back in the day, but never had anyone say the dealer ever looked. or questioned it. If it's a concern I can back up your ecu for the cost of shipping and then the flash counter can be reset at any time by sending it in.

Just return the ecu to stock before you bring the car to the dealer, and it's stock. Not much they will say at that point. Of course this means no deletes or such.

If you still have a pre-dieselgate tune, just remember to go back to stock before bringing the car in for the dieselgte update. Then the programmer can be erased to start over again. The the post-dieselgate update(s) are 100% free, as are any retunes required after the dealer reflashes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any idea of the percentage of ECU software versions of the 2015 are in the flashzilla compatible database?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
We have had to add add every one to the shared database for passat, jetta, and golf so everyone should be good to go now.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
The new edc17's have locked read/write eprom (boot-tricore) and require special adapter to break the encryption. When the older cars get the new firmware updates, they get new encrypted locks installed, requiring new tool protocols.
Long as you got the latest tools, the read/write job is no problem. Tuning/editing tools and checksums is a different story.

I can get in all the BMW's/Mercedes/VW-Audi's/Duramax's, etc now (gas and diesels). That should last 6months until the next major architecture hardware changes happen.
Jeff ;-))

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Kerma and Malone have been tuning these fresh off the lot and already built a database off bench-flashing ECUs as required (Thank you Andrew and everyone else involved). What tools are you using :confused: Have had no problems with the BMWs, Mercs, Jeeps, Rams, or sprinters either, but all those from 2009 + (and 2010 + sprinter) are bench only.

Newer siemens ECUs are another story, still some stock file availability issues with the MK7s and 3L TFSIs other than the 8.4 models.

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I would say to avoid revo as they are sh*t on tdi, not good, confirmed by so many.
On my car also not going very well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Add me to the list, are you doing a local group buy or flashzilla combo group buy?

While I know the DSG tune is needed. I was thinking of trying the tune without it. I know there maybe some shudder under WOT pulls in 5 and 6th, 98% of the driving isn't WOT and just looking for a slight boost in performance in more normal spirited driving.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
DSG tuning isn't available for all EA288s yet, there's a new plug style that was brought in somewhere in 2015. Some can be tuned, others cannot. Waiting on alientech to develop on this platform, we'll let you know as soon as we do. Passats have been no problem, have done some golfs/jettas as well, so it's likely a VIN/build date swapover. We don't see the same kind of DSG limiting problems on this platform as with earlier models, they're there but not nearly as dramatic. We also rarely see shudder issues, we're not trying to break anyone's near new vehicle and understand that reliability and longevity are some of the main perks to a TDI in the first place. These tunes have been designed with reliability and drive-ability in mind, we're not pushing the vehicle as hard as we could just for the sake of advertising a higher dyno number.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So a DSG isn't a must if you looking to use a little bit more pull and not wind it out every last tourq and HP?

Good to know, and glad to hear an honest need for the DSG, I was under assumption it was a must with a stage 1, which almost doubles the price.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
So a DSG isn't a must if you looking to use a little bit more pull and not wind it out every last tourq and HP?

Good to know, and glad to hear an honest need for the DSG, I was under assumption it was a must with a stage 1, which almost doubles the price.
The phase 1 fix also included an improvement to the DSG software in which *some* owners have claimed an improved driving experience. Owain, have you all tuned any '15s with the phase 1 fix with DSG?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
A bunch. Have yet to get a car on the dyno with before/after results but a lot of people have complained about lower RPM shift points and less torque down low. Few tests in Europe have shown this but their software is likely different.

I've heard nothing but negative things from passat owners, and mixed opinions on the golf/jetta. Double digit sample sizes in either case, but of course that's opinion and I'd like to get something concrete on the dyno. Been playing around with the 335D a lot lately but will extensively revisit this platform soon.

Kevinski4

TDI
I tuned a '15 DSG JSW with the phase 1 fix last week. Ran real nice. No perceivable DSG issues.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've heard nothing but negative things from passat owners
Care to elaborate?

Is that just people not enjoying the emissions fix, or not enjoying a tune after the emission fix?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
I mean I'm not going to come on here and bash my employers software :p Meant the emissions fix, passats seem to have been more heavily affected than other models, likely due to size/weight? Trying to get some locals in for before/after testing on the dyno but have been swamped with other developments, plus Vancouver doesn't have a ton of diesels since a lot of people don't drive long distances. We also keep a low profile locally so that we can get R&D work done, our shops not typically open to the public, same approach CTS took awhile ago. Land is just too expensive to justify servicing cars so we work closely with a few well established shops and dealers. Between the lot of us we always have at least one VW that needs work anyway, lol. At least the web developers and accountant are smart, they all drive Toyotas.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I figured as such, ha

While I can't compare stock 2015 Passat to a phase one "fixed" 2015 Passat. I can compare it to our 2012, and don't really notice anything, maybe little less pull on highway passing. But still pulls great from a stop and the DSG shifting it pretty much perfect, also way less RPM at 70 than the 2012, maybe 300-400 rpm the way it should be.

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
Anybody considering tuning boxes or anybody currently using one? I've been researching a bit, and they seem real popular in the U.K. with many positive reviews from different vendors (DTUK, RaceChip, BlueSpark, ChipWerke). They're supposed to be untraceable which is a plus for new 2015 owners with the extended warranty. Of course the tunes aren't as good as remaps, but something to tide people over until warranty expires?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't seen to many listed over here, care to toss up a link or two?

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
Here are a few I've been looking into: DTUK, Race Chip, https://www.chipwerke.com/, Blue Spark, TDI Tuning.
DTUK has an online chat and they respond to any questions - they seem to have the most advanced tech with their CDR-3+ box - they also have dynos available on their website for various vehicles.
I contacted RaceChip and they responded within 24 hrs - their parent German branch seems very promising with a 2 year engine, transmission, and drivetrain warranty but only for their residents. They said they're working to bring the warranty here, but don't know when that will be.
Chipwerke seems to be the easiest and cheapest as you are able to buy from them on Ebay.
Blue Spark is well spoken of from UK forums - still waiting to hear from them.
Tdi tuning also responded to my questions within 24 hrs. I think they are a cheaper alternative to DTUK.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
European and North America motors and ECUs have many differences. Tuning boxes/piggy back systems do not work as advertised or compare to ECU tunes either, we have tested them and if it was that simple we'd have something on the market. Anyone can draw a dyno graph, it's rare we see a product perform as advertised on the dyno and the only one that has for a piggy back system was burger tuning's 1.8T JB1 box. Very impressive work from that crowd as usual. They work by falsifying data outputs to your ECU, so your safety features and limiters will not work as intended from factory. Why risk dealing with a foreign company that's unfamiliar with your vehicle when you can drive into a shop that works on them regularly and have the flash done in person?

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
Most intriguing part about tuning boxes are they are untraceable when removed. Are you saying there's a way to get an ECU tune without voiding warranty if done in person?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk