‘14 Passat No MFI Lights No Start Good Battery

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
‘14 Passat wierd issues no start 2 days later no drive

Drove my ‘14 sel Premium to work today, everything was fine. Locked the car with kessy, worked for 7.5 hours, come out to the car, unlock the door with kessy, put all the windows down with the driver front window switch (it didn’t tilt the sunroof). Try to put it in accessory mode, nothing. The cluster is dark, not showing the door open/mileage/etc. go get a jump box to check voltage/jump it. Hook the jump box up, battery shows 12.7 volts (it was replaced Oct ‘17). Still nothing. Try swapping key batteries from my bug’s key nothing. The car will lock/unlock the doors, windows go up and down, radio turns on, but nothing on the cluster, tried opening multiple doors and the trunk. Close up the car and lock it (disconnect the jump box and put it away). Go get a new key battery, tried to remote start it from a distance, it flashes the orange parking light with the lock button and the remote start, then flashes the DRL bulbs (i’ve never seen it do that). It doesn’t start (i have 3/4 tank and no error lights). Get to the car and open the door, now the mfi lights up and says key not in range and the car starts. I do have a polar fis on it, it’s been there since November 2018. I do not have vagcom. My job is viewed essential, we’ve been doing 7 on/7off (thurs-wed, closed sunday) from 3/23 - 5/23. I’ve been driving the passat 2/3 of the days i’ve worked plus running to the grocery store.

I didn’t drive the passat sunday, drove it to work and back yesterday 65 miles. Drove to work this morning 33 miles. Did the window trick, dropped the windows and tilted the sunroof. Started the car, drove it to the stop sign to pull out of the parking lot. Pull out of the parking lot and go maybe 50 feet it pops up airbag on the dash then esc and will not move forward despite being in drive, all it does is roll backwards down hill. It also has a flashing glow plug light. I get it back into the parking lot by coasting backwards. Shut it off restart, still had the traction light and maybe airbag. Backed it up then drove it forward in drive and the lights turned off the dash. Luckily im right by the vw dealer so i left it there. Didn’t feel safe trying to drive it home. Any ideas?

Last edited:

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Did you load test the 2017 battery? Also, I'd have disconnected the battery for the required time for a total reset and then reconnected to see if it would operate properly, but since it's at dealer not an option. Hopefully they are thorough and their diagnostic tools will isolate the problem.
Also you mention the "window trick". Can you explain just what that entails and what it is used for?

Good luck!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Window trick is open drivers door, push and hold drivers front window switch, it will drop all the windows and tilt the sunroof if equipped. I do it in the afternoon while i take down my sunshade and get ready to drive. Max out the ac and it’s cooling really well by the time i hit the main road 1/2 mile away.

They scanned the car late today and there are several intermittent no communication faults (powertrain, steering, abs etc.) as well as can bus faults. At the moment i am updating the polar fis at home and driving another car. I have a good relationship with some vw service folks, so we’re going to see where tests lead us. I drive 65 miles a day, most of that at 70 mph, so I definitely want a resolution of some sort, i do have extended warranty in addition to the tdi warranty.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
my guess is a weak battery, and possibly the Polar FIS is taxing the battery as it may not allow the BCM to go to sleep.

A load test will prove if the battery is weak.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the list of faults:
Engine electronics
High speed CAN communication bus (00100000 passive /sporadic)

Transmission electronics
Powertrain data bus faulty (intermittent)

Driver's door electronics
Function restriction due to missing message

Brake electronics
Power steering control module (no signal/communication intermittent)
Drive train data bus (faulty intermittent)
Drive train data bus (no signal/communication intermittent)
Steering angle sensor (no signal/communication intermittent)

Radio
Navigation antenna (short circuit to ground intermittent)

Sound system
Function limitation due to excessive temperature (00001000 passive / sporadic)

Electronic central electric
Steering column electronic systems control module (no signal / communication intermittent)
Lock unit for central locking left rear (implausible signal intermittent)
Data bus on board diagnostic interface (no signal/communication intermittent)
Terminal 75 emergency running active (intermittent)

Data bus obd interface
Infotainment data bus in single wire (electrical error in circuit intermittent)

Steering column lock
Function restriction due to missing message (00001000 passive/sporadic) this one appears three times

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
This still sound like a battery related voltage drop or possibly ground fault, B+ connection.Too many codes at same time. I suspect dealer shop didn't spend much time tracking it down. A weak cell, usually the one at the positive end of the battery can sometimes elude the chip based load test. An old fashioned resistor load tester might be good way to rule this out. It can also be used to expose grounding faults.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thundershorts, i added a but more info on the polar fis thread in the golf / jetta forum.
I missed a page of faults. Also can bus / no communication.
Tpms control module
Abs module
Power steering (drive train data bus)
Airbag (high speed can communication bus)
Seat adjustment, driver’s seat (data bus onboard diagnostic interface)
Yellowsubmarine, i updated the pilar fis last Wednesday at home outside of the car. I thought about it on the way home and since it has been a week with no issues, im going to discuss it with my friend who is a vw Tech that’s helping me with the car. Maybe we will reinstall it tomorrow.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
too bad you werent closer to Las Vegas. Id offer to swap my PF03 for your PF04 and see if it affects your car the same or vice versa if your PF04 affected my car the same.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
too bad you werent closer to Las Vegas. Id offer to swap my PF03 for your PF04 and see if it affects your car the same or vice versa if your PF04 affected my car the same.
That would be nice :). Game plan is to reinstall the polar fis tomorrow morning, try it tomorrow and friday. If all is good pick it up early Saturday, probably disconnect the polar fis for the ride home.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Since you didn't post any scan related voltage info, I was making an assumption. Polar was removed when car was at dealer? and they found no faults? Easy enough to do a load test yourself if you have a good voltmeter(Fluke or equivalent) take a voltage reading at the battery, turn car on, not start, turn headlights on for 2 minutes,turn headlights and car off, take another battery voltage reading. Post the readings here.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Car was scanned at the dealer, 4 pages of faults found. All faults were no communication or can bus. Polar was removed, faults cleated. Car has been driven every day at least twice a day since Wednesday of last week with no issues. I updated the polar last week, it was reinstalled this morning and instantly a repeat of last Saturday’s issue. My tech friend and i are condemning the polar as faulty and the cause of the dramatic failure of the car.