06 BRM coolant temp sensor replacement

tron2003

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI
Has anybody replaced one on a BRM engine? Just unhooking the harness was a bastard itself as it's tucked in a un-accessible spot. Based on the diagram below I'm assuming I disconnect hose #9 and I take out the bolts labeled #4 and pull #10 off in order to replace the sensor (#8). If anybody has done this or has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Backstory:
Was experiencing some rough starting during the last month in these frigid Minnesota winter. I tested the glow plug harness only to find out I wasn't getting any output upon turning the key on.....Having a hunch that it's the Coolant temp sensor(as I had the a similar issue on my an 01 and trace it back to a coolant temp sensor) I unplugged it and now I was seeing approx 11.8 volts at the end of the glow plug harness.

chuckiet3

TDI
2006 PKG 2 DSG, 2002, 1998
i believe #8 and #25 are both coolant sensors. can anyone tell me the difference in the two? #25 is directly below the thermostat and a lot easier to get to

7Kane

TDI
I was also wondering if the two coolant sensors are the same. My car has been acting up. It’ll start right away and run fine but once it’s up to normal 190 degrees operating temp and you shut it off, it will start again but die out immediately. If you wait till the temperature goes down it’ll start again and be fine until you shut it off again. So just wondering if the guy who previously owned it before installed the right sensors.

7Kane

TDI
Just found out that both coolant sensors are the same. I also did an ohm test and found out that I had one bad sensor. So I bought a new one and am going to give it a try and hopefully it solves the issue.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
The original post contains a drawing of an engine that is not a BRM.

** I see the OP deleted the drawing. Good work. **

Last edited: