Bluetooth issue on a 09 Jetta

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
I just picked up our new 09 Jetta TDI yesterday. I have started to play around with the different features on the car and got my T-Mobile G1 (Android Smart Phone) paired with the car.

I am having an interesting issue. I can pair the devices and it is working because I can make a call. Have not gotten any while in the car yet but we only have put about 20 miles on the car so far. Anyhow more about the issue. What happens is every 2-5 minutes (it is kind of random), my phone flashes a message that an application has stopped responding and my only option on the phone is to force it to close. It turns out that the application that keeps crashing is the one that controlls the radios in the phone (Bluetooth and Cell Radio). When it does this I can hear the tone come across the car stereo that the phone disconnected. Once the radios come back on then I hear the tone and they connect again. Couple minutes later they drop again.

The phone does not do this when bluetooth is on and not connected to anything. It also doesn't do this when I connect the phone via bluetooth to my laptop. I have a BT headset around somewhere that I want to try as well. I need to find it and the charger.

Oh the phone is hacked and has had the radio driver updated to the latest version and the ROM it is running is xROM. I have gone through all the posts on forums about this setup and no one else seems to have the issue. I have posted the question out on that forum but haven't had any hits. I thought I would try it from this angle and see if anyone out there has a T-Mobile G1 and has it paired to their car.

Oh I have the factory Bluetooth. The one without the buttons on the overhead console.

Thanks

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
The BT stacks that are implemented in some of the ROMs available on places like XDA Developers can be sketchy at best. When I used to flash my HTC Wizard and HTC Kaiser with these, I definitely got some cool features, however I also got a lot of instability.

Might be worth trying to flash back to the latest ROM that T-Mobile makes available and give it a shot.

AFAIK, there's not a whole lot you can do to the BT module in the car. There's no software flashes available for it, at least none I've heard of.

drh1965

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
We have a G1 as well and are not having any serious problems. Since the Cupcake update, occasionally, bluetooth calls that we originate with voice commands, are started but we can't hear the calls through the car speakers. We have to push the BT button on the phone and transfer to the phone. I'd guess you have an APP on your phone that is messing up the BT.

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
Thanks for the replies.

I really like xROM. It has some of the features that are going to be added with doughnut when that comes out. I think I will try and go back to cupcake and see what happens. If nothing else it might tell me that my issue is with my phone's hardware and not a software issue. I really don't think it is a problem with the car. It isn't like it is doing all that much beyond what a normal Bluetooth headset does.

At least I can see that others with my phone are using it. So it points to the issue bing with the way I have my phone setup. Build or whatever. I am running a non approved ROM that is the latest release so there could be bugs. Other than this issue however it works great. I like it a lot better than the official Cupcake.

oldsmokey

TDI
2010 Candy White JSW
Bluetooth Stores Phonebooks???

Can the Jetta Bluetooth system download the contact list from a cell phone?

GGK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
I disconnected the blue tooth option, was not happy with voice quality and caller on other end always complained of poor sound. My little Motorla earpiece works better.