Who needs to buy new winter tires? Maybe we can arrange a group buy in GTA

papiot

Veteran Member
Hi folks,

I will need winter tires an I really want to get the Nokian RSI. Anyone else interested in purchasing winter tires? I was thinking if we gather a few people and go to one place we might get a discount as a group buy.

Also, where can I get Nokian tires in Toronto?

shaydee

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, White 2 door
Nokian

I have bought all my Nokians from Steelcase Tires 'n' mags inc. (their in Markhan)

I presently do not need any tires myself but could help get the group buy arranged as I have a contact there that I deal with who has allways given me good pricing on my own (he has allways been at least $15-$20 cheaper per tire than Green and Ross quotes).

LMK
Mike

05TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005,
papiot said:
Hi folks,

I will need winter tires an I really want to get the Nokian RSI. Anyone else interested in purchasing winter tires? I was thinking if we gather a few people and go to one place we might get a discount as a group buy.

Also, where can I get Nokian tires in Toronto?
I bought two sets last year at TireWorks. Their website is http://www.nokian.ca/

They have appearently just moved a couple of blocks awy. They are in the west end of Toronto.

Hope this helps,

Christopher
05 Passat TDI 44,000 KM (Nokian Hack II snows) waiting
95 E300D 191,000 KM (Nokian WRs)

shaydee

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, White 2 door
Johhny04 said:
Steelcase Tires 'n' mags inc. are good guys, always have what you need.
agreed, however if you want to get hold of them you best arrange a buy befor the end of October, in November after the first sign of bad weather they are so busy you will spend all day just trying to get through to them by phone, it took me 3 days to get hold of them during the 2nd week of november last year!:eek:

also Saturday's in the fall they have cars lined up around the block waiting for tires, their good prices mean that they are busy as dogs from the end of October through Christmas

papiot

Veteran Member
I want to go this saturday to the place in Markham to see what I can get. (I am looking for Nokian RSI specifically 195/65/15). Who's with me? :)

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Btw, Wally Mart has the 195/65/15 Wintermark (made by G/Year) for $59.86 each this week or $239.44 for 4

papiot

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info, but I am really looking for Nokian RSI. Unless someone recommends something else..

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Ok, so this tire appears to have excellent winter qualities. How's the tread life? Will someone with normal driving habits achieve 3 seasons out of these tires?

indycar1

Veteran Member
Sorry to inform you guy's but Steelcase will not sell Nokia's anymore due to a 24% price increase. They are available elsewhere in the city but Jim refuses to sell them anymore.

shaydee

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, White 2 door
OhMagoo said:
Ok, so this tire appears to have excellent winter qualities. How's the tread life? Will someone with normal driving habits achieve 3 seasons out of these tires?
Just my experience, but I will NEVER buy another brand of winter tire regardless of how expensive the nokian's get. I had a set of all season NRW's on my Audi used them for 2 winters ~ 60,000km, then when I got my Golf I now use the same tires as my summers for the past 2 seasons ~ 60,000km so now I have about 120,000km and they still have legal tread on them (granted they are a bit harder than when first new) they still work great in the wet.

the new winters I got last year (I believe they are the Q1's, the most aggressive tire without stud holes) are spectacular, Ice what Ice? (I swear it makes an icy road surface feel like hot pavement in the middle of July!)

These tires give the same grip as blizzaks but they don’t loose there effectiveness after the first season as the blizzaks do.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I bought a set of used hakkas once (used 1 winter) and used them for another winter and they were AWESOME, despite being used. Was sad to sell them, but sold the car. :-(

The wal-mart route would sure be cheaper, but, I think I'm spoiled by Hakkas... Tough decision

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Steelcase is good, have bought several sets of tires. However, the last 2 years, several companies have had better pricing. FYI, chapiro's are a great bang for the buck winter tire. I have used them on 4 cars, and they always did the job. The jetta loves them.

TDA

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I'm getting Nokian Hakkapelitta RSI 195/65/R15s installed for $120 each by Kal Tire. I thought that was a good price.

Flametamer

TDI
Two 2004 TDI PD one w/Sirius. 2001 VT1100 Shadow. 2007 R1200S.
RE.winter tires

I have always had great procing frm consumers tire 176 Bentworth Ave. 416256-1313 (across from yorkdale Mall)The staff are real friendly too. I bought 8 Michelin X Ice and had them mounted on CTC steel rims.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
TDA said:
I'm getting Nokian Hakkapelitta RSI 195/65/R15s installed for $120 each by Kal Tire. I thought that was a good price.
Which Kal Tire location was that, and was that a sale? I got quoted $160 per tire.

**edit**
I also called TireMaxx, and they quoted $153 per tire installed.

Are people still interested in getting together for a group buy?

Last edited:

yetta0

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta,2000,Cheyanne Red
I just bought my second set of Nokian WR tires that are one of the very few tires with the real "winter" rating on them, meaning the triangle with the snowflake. I already have a set on one of my jetta's and they are awesome. I left them on all year and they're great in wet, dry and naturally snow. I went to Kal tire in Cambridge this time and they cost $129.41 each plus tax. Balance was included. They have a 100,000 km garantee.

http://www.kaltire.com/retail/tires/detail.php?kins=010576BE83NC7K&tname=Passenger%20All%20Weather&title=Passenger&type=A/W&cat=PASS#

TDA

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Silver02TDI said:
Which Kal Tire location was that, and was that a sale? I got quoted $160 per tire.
It was Kal Tire in Hamilton. All locations are having a winter tire sale until November 4th. The RSIs are included.

I don't have any personal experience to compare them to Hakka 2 and 4. I havent even tried the RSI yet. The main difference is studded and not studded. They're all excellent winter tires, though.

papiot

Veteran Member
I bought 4 Nokian RSI 195/65/15 from Kal Tire in Hamilton for $553 including taxes, but without instalation.

These tires are insanly soft compound, so I will wait until mid-december to install them.

I do not know how they will perform. I have pretty good knowledge in physics, so when I shopped around for winter tires, I looked mostly at the thread pattern.

The RSI's have really large and deep directional lines. This helps a lot in slushy conditions, which is mostly what we get in GTA. The sides are the same as the Blizzaks: big, pointy thread patter which is good at cornering on snow.

And last, but not least, the rubber is very very soft and Nokian claims it hold very good in cold temperatures (which it makes sense, since their winter test track is somewhere in northen Finland)...

I can't wait to put them on and see how they perform! :)