Fault Codes: Trans Fluid Temp Sensor, Gear Monitoring

joeontheglobe

TDI
‘04 Golf
Hello. I hope I'm posting properly and in the correct location. I've had my 2004 Golf Tdi for 6 years. Recently I've had several lights illuminate on the dash. I hooked it up to my friend's vag-com unit and got the codes. Not sure where to go except here for now. 2 faults were registered with the transmission:
00300 - Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor (G93)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
I've been having shifting issues with the transmission. It sometimes stays in first gear without shifting to a higher gear. I then pull over, put it in Park, shift back into Drive and then continue on - usually with better results. The transmission has also sometimes downshifted as I slow down right before I come to a stop. It shifts to first and slows the car with the transmission as I am braking.
Anyone have any ideas? I assume I can buy a Fluid Temp Sensor, right? What does "Gear Monitoring" and "Implausible Signal" mean?
Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to fix and drive this vehicle down to my family's house for Thanksgiving!
joe.

Toyomike

TDI
2004 Golf
Cobra Transmissions, order a set of solenoids for it. I put 2 sets in my 04 in 400k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You cannot access the ATF temp sensor without taking the transmission apart. Silly Japanese. BUT, if you buy a new harness (of which the sensor is an integral part), you can simply cut the wires and sensor off and splice them into the existing harness and just mount the sensor in a spot under a screw at the lower part of the valve body. It'll work fine there, the TCM won't know the difference.

In your case, you may have some internal transmission issues, tough to say. If the fluid isn't full of metal debris and looks OK (dark brownish red is OK... black and full of shiny bits and clutch chunks is not), then you can perhaps get by with replacing all the solenoids. However, you may still have a valve body problem, and you'll end up needing that anyway, which comes complete WITH all the solenoids.

So it is up to you. It is a bit labor intensive, as the cover is on the front of the transmission, buried underneath a bunch of stuff. If you are Ok with chancing the cost of the solenoids and your time knowing it may not fix it, then you can try that. If you'd rather have a better surefire way of fixing the shifting issue the first time, a valve body assembly will do that. Again, in either case assuming the transmission itself isn't coming apart internally.

This is a pic with the whole front of the car off, and you STILL cannot even SEE the cover under all that:

That is an AWP 1.8t car, but the transmission is the same as the BEW cars.

Couple of dead Jatcos from another model (Mazda MPV), but they are the same basic setup, and you can see the cover of the front that must be removed to access the valve body/solenoids/wire harness:

Last edited: