Golf MkV,Sunroof random opening

Tony Soprano 1966

TDI
Golf MK5 TDI SE PD
Hi,Had this problem a while now where the sunroof will just randomly open for no reason,luckily so far its only doing it when I am in the car,although it did once open itself after I had left and locked car.I dismantled the switch,and then cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser,also checked that the slider rail is clear from debris,but it is still doing it,annoying now weather is cold too.Nothing coming up in vcds for it,so before I pay out a stupid amount of cash for a new switch is there anything else I can try?Also,on the switch itself,aswell as being able to turn it around to different open close settings,at one point the switch can be pushed inward,does this actually do anything?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
For what it's worth my car does it as well. I never could figure it out and wasn't willing to spend any money on it because I don't ever use my sunroof. I unplugged the switch and left it that way because it was winter time and the last thing I needed was for it to dump a bunch of snow into my car!

TDI
05 VW Jetta
Mine was just doing the moonroof...I think that that is what you call it when the back edge lifts up. Thankfully it hasn't ever done it in the cold or rain. I never open the inner cover so sometimes I would just be like wow the wind is really loud then realize it was the moon roof.

tsimon325

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Auto
I looked at a for sale MkV with the same issue. The owner said he pulled the fuse. Seems to me a faulty sunroof switch would produce that symptom.

Bevkinsey73

TDI
2002 Volkswagen Beetle
I'd like to disconnect my daughter's sunroof, because it keeps venting and water gets in her 2002 VW bug. Does anyone have a link to a video on this? I can't find one. TIA