RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Finally after 3 years "Here Maps" former "Navteq" decided to release new maps on October 21st 2018
Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD
Content
Volume: CD_8534
Date: 16.5.2018
db: NA(2018Q1)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.810.2.84
Customer Version: V12
Customer: 1627386654
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2018020002
SVD: EDB_20180214
TMC: 20180112
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.36_V7.13_V8.22_V10.13_basename_poi_on_route
SIRIUS:13.05.2011
-Cheers,
Peter
ExtremeNetwork
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the update an hour ago for my 2015. I know the nav on the rns 510 isn't loved by many, but I find it easy to use, especially when my wife is driving by herself and doesn't want to use waze.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I bought my 2015 Passat I also updated the firmware, map and a program which lets you use the DVD player for movies while underway. Cost in 2016 was under $ 50.00 shipped to me.

I for one think the Navi in my Passat sucks big time. It has asked me several times to enter which country I am in while sitting at home in my driveway and never gone more than 50 miles from home. To enter and save waypoints is a royal PIA.

The VW Navi is Garmin based, but nowhere near as easy to manipulate.But it makes a great back-up screen!

As an aside, I just bought another Garmin GPS which has far more features than the RNS-510. The Garmin gives me three new map updates a year FREE and the whole unit is less than an old VW map update. The current Garmin map is 2019.30.

I'll be damned to pay VW or their agent over $ 100.00 for a lousy DVD which costs them $ 0.15 or less to duplicate. A charge of $10.00 to maybe even $ 20.00 is a reasonable profit but not a 1,000 % profit, that is gouging!

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Probably a dumb question but can the firmware be updated via a burned CD with the proper files or does it have to be a DVD?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gflynn

TDI
2012 Passat
Navigation Voice

Hello
New to this thread
Have a 2012 Passat TDI and trying to activate the voice command through VCDS
Have followed instructions as per previous posts and still does not work.
Suggestions on what I maybe missing.
Info from unit.
HW-65
SW 3696
Map 7565

Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Gerard

FedAgent1896

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium
Good morning forum users...

Was curious if one of you could tell me if there is another firmware version for my car.I currently have the following:

K-Unit RNS510

SW Version - 4369
Map Version - 7963

I have V12 map on my desk, but don't know if I should update firmware first (if there is an update) then update the map. Also, the map update comes with zero instructions. I assume you put the disk in the cd slot and pray???

I started reading this thread from the beginning and y'all are alot more technically savvy with this than I am. But I also did not real all 70+ pages of threads. Any help or info would be appreciated.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
just picked up a 2015 SEL, now I totally understand what people have been talking about- wow the 510 is so slow, backup cam rarely works in time, normally it comes on about 100 feet away from the spot I backed up at. as for video in motion, I downloaded the video in motion "update" and it ran the berto 89 recode and updated correctly, rebooted correctly but the video in motion still doesn't work. probably due to it being a late model 510

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
just picked up a 2015 SEL, now I totally understand what people have been talking about- wow the 510 is so slow, backup cam rarely works in time, normally it comes on about 100 feet away from the spot I backed up at. as for video in motion, I downloaded the video in motion "update" and it ran the berto 89 recode and updated correctly, rebooted correctly but the video in motion still doesn't work. probably due to it being a late model 510
If you install the firmware update it has VIM included.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Hopefully, someone can provide info/suggestions on what to do. I ordered and tried to install the new Oct. issue Nav/Map update version 8534. The disc was left in the head unit for a couple of weeks and periodically I could hear it spinning but it never downloaded and update the existing data. What to do? The RNS510 functions fine otherwise.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Hopefully, someone can provide info/suggestions on what to do. I ordered and tried to install the new Oct. issue Nav/Map update version 8534. The disc was left in the head unit for a couple of weeks and periodically I could hear it spinning but it never downloaded and update the existing data. What to do? The RNS510 functions fine otherwise.
When the dvd is in the drive press eject. It’ll show the progress. Did you select “save” when prompted?

rjboonstra

TDI
Jetta / Tiguan
When you purchase the new 2018 M12 North American maps for the RNS510, does it also include the firmware and boot software for the radio? I found a good link on how to update the hard drive to a faster solid state drive... but am curious if the DVD has everything you need to format a new hard drive.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/rns-510-hdd-replacement-ssd-swap-diy-60984.html

It sounds like you also need the Software Recovery disk as well... and the Mega Download files that are required for a different partition size no longer link properly.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Was tired of seeing people selling the firmware and Vim CDs on eBay for $30+ so I jumped feet first into doing it myself

Found an ISO for 1140 firmware (supposedly the newest you can use on A-D revisions according to a seller on eBay)
Used windows 10 built in burner at whatever speed is default and popped it into the D unit I have. I did NOT turn the key on, I pressed the power button on the unit itself and then inserted the disc.
Took about 45m. You get a few reboots then a white screen comes up asking to confirm the update. Hit ok or whatever it says and away you go

Then came the vim. Found an ISO for that. Burned it the same way
When I powered the unit on and inserted the disc, it recognized it as an "update" then gave me an error message saying it was an older update and ejected the disc. Screen said to reboot holding Guide, eject and day/night button
Did that and reinserted the disc. Then came up with the white screen asking to confirm update.
Pressed ok
30 seconds later it ejected the disc saying complete.

Picture taken in Mexico

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We'll the honey moon is over, our NOS '15 SEL and the POS RNS-510 appears to be deader than a doornail.

Wife complained of a dead radio on the way home yesterday. Looked at it, unit was rebooting and making it two second into the process before the screen flickered and shut down. Back lights would cylce some humming and screen back light would come on again. No images were displayed, and it didn't seem like it would ever go to sleep and give up.

I tried disco/reconnecting the battery, same thing no improvement. I left the battery disconnected it over night and called the dealer this morning, sitting at 36,700 at work right now. I'm just glad the radio didn't go out on our 1800 mile road trip at the beginning of the month.

The hope is they will "goodwill" the radio, do the claymore takata air bag recall as well as phase 2 of emissions all in one visit with a loaner, awaiting a call back from the dealer.

What the good word on VW's availability of replacement 510 units? is this something that is becoming unobtainium?

drushtx

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI, 2006 Beetle TDI, 2014 Passat TDI SEL
Rebooting, Maps and Firmware

Picked up a 2014 TDI SEL a month ago. Didn't know about the RNS 510 reset issue and had a few reboots on the test drive. Chalked it up to hot weather and sitting on the lot. After the purchase, I learned about the issue. It has been tolerable with an occasional reboot every couple of days.

In the mean time, I took the plunge two weeks to update the map. Update went as described everywhere and there were no other changes. That went well enough that I downloaded the new firmware for future use if needed - The unit is an "L" model so I burned V5382. This past Sunday (5/5/19) the system went into a continuous reboot loop - every 2 1/2 minutes, like clockwork. I poked and prodded for two days but no soap. Tried all of the tricks and techniques noted here and other major VW sites.

Having nothing to lose, I started the firmware update process last night. Took a couple of attempts to get the disc to start loading but once that happened, just like the map update, everything went like clockwork.

Too early to tell if the system is permanently fixed but all tests last night went perfectly, as did the commute to work today (hour and half commute each way - that's why this is my third TDI - two Bugs and now that Passat for something a bit more comfy as well as practical).

Presets stayed, phone pairing stayed and it appears that all other settings remained set. The only thing that seems to have been lost were the destinations in the Nav memory. The best thing besides the rebooting problem going away is that Bluetooth media works now - didn't work before but all other phone functions were fine.

Fingers crossed, firmware upgrade all the way!

Everything has been working great for a few days, now. I presumed that the firmware I downloaded had VIM in it so I tested it this morning for the commute. Nothing - video shuts down around 5 MPH, just like it's supposed to. With all the success above, figured I would update VIM. Burned a disc at lunch hour and loaded it up. It choked with a failure on the next to last step so I forced a restart with Eject-Star-Guide. Went like magic. Five minutes later I was buzzing down the highway with Blade Runner on for my test passenger. Steering wheel DVD controls work while in motion. DVD continues to play in the background while the reverse camera is engaged. Lovin' this car!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update from our POS RNS Dropped the car off on Thursday, picked up on Tuesday. Had a 2018 Tiguan Limited (basically the last hold off of the tiggy Gen1s) it was a royal pig, got 28mpg over 400 miles we put on it, and the slush box was horrendous the torque converter would never lock up for more than 1 min and I swear it acted like a CVT more than a conventional automatic.

VWoA picked up the tab for the unit but the dealer asked us pay for the install ($115). Some how I think VW reimbursed the dealer the full boat and they double dipped on the labor asking us to flip the bill.

Either way the radio seems a little better but I haven't played with it much.

I'll have to check the firmware and map version to see what they installed.

Also wife doesn't notice anything different with only stock phase 2A tuning, goes to show you how much she appreciated the Malone tune.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Got another unit in.
Went to update the maps with an OEM map disc, and it just keeps crashing after I hit Confirm.

Ideas? Gonna update the firmware today and see if it fixes it

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
When you purchase the new 2018 M12 North American maps for the RNS510, does it also include the firmware and boot software for the radio? I found a good link on how to update the hard drive to a faster solid state drive... but am curious if the DVD has everything you need to format a new hard drive.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/rns-510-hdd-replacement-ssd-swap-diy-60984.html

It sounds like you also need the Software Recovery disk as well... and the Mega Download files that are required for a different partition size no longer link properly.
That hard drive is hard to find and I know a guy fairly skilled and could not get it to work.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Got another unit in.
Went to update the maps with an OEM map disc, and it just keeps crashing after I hit Confirm.

Ideas? Gonna update the firmware today and see if it fixes it

Firmware update fixed everything.

Does anyone know what the latest firmware you can put on an E version?

skateboy918

TDI
07 VW GLI
Rev e can upgrade to sw4366

Anyone who needs firmware or maps can send me a private message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well the wife sent a picture of her 'new' RNS, splash screen stated "system starting" the entire 40 commute, no sound nothing.

Whats the easiest way to check the firmware version again?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Well the wife sent a picture of her 'new' RNS, splash screen stated "system starting" the entire 40 commute, no sound nothing.

Whats the easiest way to check the firmware version again?
It sounds like they installed the firmware update and it needs recoded to enable Fender Audio. If you have VCDS or OBDELEVEN it’s an easy fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.