Eliminating Diesel Smell

emergencee

TDI
none :( ... looking to buy
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the steering wheel, shifter and P brake in their TDI's smell like diesel. I bought my 2005 Jetta Wagon used about two months ago and I can't seem to eliminate the smell from the cabin controls. Every time I get out of the car I notice my hands smell like diesel. I've tried 409 (which works great for removing diesel stains from automotive paint), armor all cleaning wipes, medical germicidal wipes and germicidal hand wipes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure my girlfriend would appreciate it too. ;)
Thanks.

passatpete

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI
I carry disposable plastic gloves to use when fueling the vehicle. This may not help with your current issue, but may prevent future introduction of diesel into the interior of the vehicle.

red2002

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Just put a little splash under the armpits and behind the ears, you will no longer notice the smell in the cockpit. Plus you will be swamped by very attractive ladies begging to be alone with you.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
The diesel fuel smell will be extremely difficult to remove from the leather steering wheel,parking brake and shifter. Maybe try a creme type hand cleaner without pumice on the plastic controls. You could always change out the parking brake cover and shifter knob and boot if the smell really bothers you. Sounds like the previous owner was careless about getting diesel on his hands when fueling up then transfering that diesel to the interior.

Dweisel

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
You could try one or more of the following:

1. lemon scented dish soap and water
2. lemon juice
3. toothpaste

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
There is nothing better to keep the leather conditioned and supple :)

you could also try using corn starch rubbed briskly on the leather briskly with your hands until the friction heats it up. this will help transfer the oil onto the corn starch.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
CsTDI said:
There is nothing better to keep the leather conditioned and supple :)

you could also try using corn starch rubbed briskly on the leather briskly with your hands until the friction heats it up. this will help transfer the oil onto the corn starch.
All that talk of the leather being rubbed briskly and friction heating things up made me have to look to see I hadn't gotten on the wrong web site.:eek:

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Keep a gardening glove or a "diesel mitt" in your trunk for re-fueling.

Heard what I thought was an old wives' tale from a military aircraft maintenance tech many moons ago, but washing your hands in shaving cream will get the diesel smell off your hands. And it really works!! Not sure what it would do to your steering wheel or a/c knobs though....

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I threw a skunk in the car and poked it a few times with a stick. Diesel smell is now gone.

peapodtdi

TDI
2005 Beetle GLS TDI
maybe try cleaning it with some white vinegar or baking soda? this usually works for other smells...but i dont know about diesel.
maybe im a freak, but i kind of like the smell when i get a little on my hands after filling up!:p

peapodtdi

TDI
2005 Beetle GLS TDI
haha glad to hear im not the only one! i guess i am one of those ladies red2002 is talking about! hahaha

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
peapodtdi said:
haha glad to hear im not the only one! i guess i am one of those ladies red2002 is talking about! hahaha
Yea, my wife is weird that way too! To each their own. I personally hate the smell of raw diesel and diesel fumes after working around heavy equipment for 35 years.

Dweisel

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Try Unleaded

Just wipe your hands, and other effected areas with GASOLINE! That will get rid of the diesel smell.

But actually, diesel is probably a lot less harmfull than gasoline!

emergencee

TDI
LOL. You guys are hilarious! I'll give the lemon juice, corn starch, shaving cream a shot. My wheel and shifter (automatic tranny) are not leather so I think I can be a bit more free wit the things I try. I supposed I could rent a steering wheel puller, too and then find an unlocked gasoline Jetta and do the old switch-a-roo.
I don't particularly care for the smell of diesel. Perhaps it makes me think of work? I don't know. I'd rather my hands smell like, uh, hands.
Will post more when I find out what works and what doesn't. Thanks for all the hints (and the hilarious picture of the scolding old lady!).
AJ

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Rubbing alcohol works very well - it's a lighter solvent. Then wash with light soapy water to easily get rid of the smell =)

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
A co-worker of mine spilled some diesel in his trunk and asked me for some advise. I searched the site and came up with some suggestions for him. Does anyone know what the home heating oil tech's use? It's a white powder-like substance, I'd like to get my hands on some.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I keep a container of those wet wipes in the car. I use them to clean my hands when refueling. Some service stations have hand cleaners, too, IF they refill them.

fredsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta
its not fun when you have a 100 gal transfer tank in your truck and when you are filling it not paying attention and cover the whole side of you from head to toe in diesel and have to drive 50 miles home like that. peapodtdi If you are ever behind an old red dodge cummins with a pepsi plate on the back you will prob smell diesel

CasseySpencer

TDI
Volkswagen Jetta 1.9
I hope my neighbors have read this thread too so they can do something about the odor of the diesel they use. It always makes the air stuffy.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
I love the smell of diesel in the morning... and any other time for that matter :D And I miss it very much :(

emergencee

TDI
Okay, so I FINALLY got around to cleaning it up. I grabbed some 66% alcohol hand wipes from work (I mean, NOT from work … I just found them) and used three or four of them to vigorously scrub the steering wheel, shifter, and parking brake (easy dirty birds). After letting it sit a minute or so and before it dried I wiped it with a damp wash cloth. It seems to have worked. Yay! Thanks for all the helpful, and not-so-helpful, but funny hints.

emergencee

TDI
The solution was SO EASY!! I bought some Target brand "Magic Eraser"-like sponges, wiped down the shifter, p-brake lever, steering wheel 2 times and it's good as new. Unfortunately I ditched the GF anyway. Oh well. Win some win some more. :) Thanks, all.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I must not have a sensitive nose to it because I don't smell it too bad.

I got something on me one night at work, aircraft fuel I thought but when I washed the shirt I only got about 1/2 of it back... the rest melted away :eek: