HELP!!! someone disconnected the battery! 02jettatdi

shedhorninc

TDI
jetta
ok.. long story short.. someone [a moron] disconnected the battery in my '02 jetta tdi..
now it starts for a second then turns off
there is also a flashing light that looks like a car and a key..
seems like some kind of security feature? :confused:
now the car is stuck somewhere..
is there a quick fix so i dont have to take it to the dealership???
any help appreciated!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Immobilizer is keeping it from starting. Do you have a spare key? At the very least you'll likely need Vag-Com.

secretriver

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
My 02 is doing the same thing. I have a Vag com and it said immobilizer problem. The spare key won't work either. My battery wasn't disconnected though. I was thinking about disconnecting the battery to see if it would reset the immobilizer before taking it to the dealer

KROUT

persona non grata
take both terminals off touch then together and then try to start it. I did this on a car the other day and it fixed it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, try the battery trick. If that does not get it, you will need to get into the immo system, in which case the cheapest and easiest is likely to tow it to a dealer.

GardRail

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Blue Golf
actually if you can find someoen with a vag-tacho & vag-com setup you should be able to re-associate the keys to the immo... or atleast that's the impression I have...

The question is, once you get the magic information to reprogram the keys, how would you go about doing that? I ask this in support of this thread, although I too would like to know that information.