Leaking Heater Core.....What should I do?

BDison

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I have a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI with a leaking heater core. The leak is very minor at this point, just enough to get a whiff of coolant smell during warm-up with the heater on. I am losing maybe a tablespoon or 2 of coolant a week. I contacted the dealership and they said ....good news there is a silent warranty on that and we can have a new one installed but it'll take 1-2 weeks for the job, but no "free rental", and if any interior pieces get broken during the job I have to pay for a replacement piece. From what I understand this is a major job involving taking out the dash, removing the steering wheel, airbags, etc....pretty much taking out everything between the steering wheel and the firewall to get to the heater core.
On a side note I found out that Subaru has a supposedly very high quality leak seal tablet they have for head gasket and general coolant leaks for thier cars.

Should I :

1.)Take it to the dealership and let them do the work.
OR
2.) Get ahold of some of those Subaru leak seal tabs (I think there is a GM part # for them also, same kind) and use maybe 1/2 to 1 tab in the system, hope it fixes the leak long term and be done with it.

Any help much appreciated.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
1-2 weeks is pretty insane for a heater core replacement, 2-3 days sounds a lot better to me. I can assure you that anything you put in as a leak sealent will void any remaining warranty on anything related to the cooling system. If you're out of warranty, then it's entirely up to you. What I would do, is try them out, let it run for as long as they say it takes to seal the leaks, then drain and replace the coolant. I wouldn't want that stuff floating around in there for any longer than is necessary. Unless somebody has some first hand experience with the stuff.

Now, that said, the big question is why the heater core leaks. If it's rust, or it's cracking apart, even if you use a leak stopper, the leak will come back.

BDison

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
It is a 2000 with 81,000 miles, it is out of normal warranties, but the service dept told me that there is an unlimited mileage extended silent warranty on the heater core. I guess they have had this heater core problem alot?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The A2 and A3 cars had heater core issues.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>if any interior pieces get broken during the job I have to pay for a replacement piece.<<

Are they for real ??? I can see it now... free heater core, but $2100 in replacement pieces... no wonder they need 2 weeks for the job... 5 hours actual work, but as they break pieces, they have to wait for the replacement parts to come in...

Try another dealer...

Yuri.