B4 leaking heater core

Gli_ryan

TDI
B4v
B4 leaking heater core, any other tasks??

Ok, so I’ve finally got the heater core side of the hvac out. Pulled the core. It had a little leak, not as much as I thought with how stinky and foggy it was making the windscreen. Really hope that is/was my problem. I assume it was.

BUT! I’m in there. I’m ordering a heater core this week. What other “while I’m in there” bs should I take care of? I have pulled the disintegrating foam off of the blend doors. Do I need to pull the Ac and blower side off to tidy that up at all?

I am going to order all the coolant lines because I have a leak at the water pump. I probably should just do the timing belt and water pump during this debacle. But what else is there anyone can think of?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Are you doing the all metal version of the heater core from the B5 cars? It requires a little manipulating of the pipes to fit properly and some custom work where the core fits against the cowl opening but it might be worth it. There are write-ups about it on Vortext or maybe here too, can't say I've seen one.

My cars will get the metal core going forward. I have one that will be going into the Jetta this summer and the project GTI needs a core too, which will be metal. I'm just tired of the failing seal on the cores with plastic end / fittings.

Steve

Gli_ryan

TDI
B4v
No that’s not something I’ve heard of. I was going to buy the oe valeo replacement from fcp. Maybe I’ll look into the b5 metal version.

I’m trying to change all the coolant hoses in the engine bay, but fcp doesn’t seem to offer all of them. Are there a couple that are no longer available? Looks like the lower radiator hose is one of them.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
You shouldn’t need to touch the HVAC box. I’d at least replace the hoses that go to the heater core and the vacuum line that goes to the vacuum solenoid, in the passenger footwell.

It’s been years since I did mine, but I think I deleted the nipple and just ran a continuous piece of silicone line.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
No that’s not something I’ve heard of. I was going to buy the oe valeo replacement from fcp. Maybe I’ll look into the b5 metal version.

I’m trying to change all the coolant hoses in the engine bay, but fcp doesn’t seem to offer all of them. Are there a couple that are no longer available? Looks like the lower radiator hose is one of them.
The part number is 8D1819031C, but it does take a little bit of custom work to make good fitment, particularly the pipes need a minor amount of tweaking and the cap for the top (to fit into housing) needs to be cut down and adjusted.

I acquired mine on ebay but I checked earlier and there are no inexpensive versions being offered anymore online. The only ones I see are VW or Audi OE and those are not cheap by any means.

I had been putting off ordering a couple more of these for the shelf, I hope that the supply of these in aftermarket isn't going to stay this way forever.

Be aware also that some sellers list that part number for ones with the plastic top / pipes too, I would not waste money on that one it's 1) clearly not all metal and 2) not worth buying since it's no different in materials with the OE plastic top tank version and making it fit our application will be tough. Only the all metal version is worth the effort...

At one time I had a write-up on this but I never did get it posted and now I can't seem to find it or the photos that went with it.

image is not mine but shows bare core...

Steve

Last edited:

Gli_ryan

TDI
B4v
If you find yours or someone else’s write up I’d be interested. I ordered the valeo oe replacement. Mine lasted 250k and 24 years. I can’t imagine this will be on the road another 15 years, so it should be ok. In the future or if it’s not though it would be sweet to check into the swap.