DSG shift noise

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Alright folks hopefully I can explain this clearly. I have a 2015 sportwagen tdi with the dsg trans. I have been noticing a metallic clunk/thud noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and also 3rd to 4th. The noise its self so far is only noticable in sport mode and shifting around the RPM range of 2.3k-3.5k. If possible would some of you see if you head anything similar one your next drive? also if anyone knows a better place to post this question please let me know. please and thank you.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Did this only occur after they flashed your car with the phase 1 update? There is supposed to be a DSG flash that comes with that as well.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Did this only occur after they flashed your car with the phase 1 update? There is supposed to be a DSG flash that comes with that as well.
Naw. I just starting noticing it about a week ago. I thought it was gone after the flash but that was only because I forgot about the lower shifting points. Once I brought it back around the same RPM's during a shift I heard it again. It seems to happen more from 2nd to 3rd and only sometimes from 3rd to 4th. I need to take it out just for test purposes instead of testing it while I'm out and about with he wife in the car.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
If it were mine, I'd be checking the dogbone mount to make sure it was tight and in good shape. Other than that, it's under warranty and if easily repeatable the dealer should get it figured out.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
True. Because of a error on their website I got a 100k/yr bumper to bumper. This is more just for learning and general shinanigans. I'll be heading to the dealer soon.

Jaymarks

TDI
09 Jetta TDI DSG (bought back),12 Jetta TDI 6man (totaled and bought back), 15 Jetta TDI DSG
My 2015 jetta TDI is making the same sort of metallic sound when shifting under moderate acceleration.Did your dealer find what was causing this?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Could the noise be coming from the Dual Mass Flywheel?

Our DSG is a bit older in a 2007 GTI, and it shifts clean and crisp under hard acceleration with the 2.0T. We have 116k kms on the car. It did have a DSG solenoid recall done many years ago before we bought it.

On a side note, we did change the dogbone insert to a stiff one from HPA Motorsports. This was done to tighten up the car when we first got it, not because of any noise.

Jaymarks

TDI
09 Jetta TDI DSG (bought back),12 Jetta TDI 6man (totaled and bought back), 15 Jetta TDI DSG
My 2009 had bad dmf. Rattled a lot at idle but never noticed any noises when it shifted. OP has probably resolved his issue since it's been a few years. My issue sounds very similar.