Boost gauge tap in on an '06 BRM...?

redneckincanada

TDI
Where do I tap the air line into from a boost gauge on an '06 Jetta TDi with a 1.9L??
I've tried two lines already that I thought one of them were right but the gauge won't budge at all from zero.
Pics would help, thanks!

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I drilled and tapped the hard plastic intercooler hose over near the timing cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Tried that, and could only get a max of 5 psi on my gauge.
Is there somewhere else I can try to tap into??
Was this in the driveway or on the road? I ask because the TDI will produce very little boost unless under load.

There are no factory boost hoses to tap into because all of the existing hoses are part of the vacuum system, run by the vacuum pump.

Drilling and tapping for a fitting somewhere in the air tubing between the turbo and intake manifold is how it's done. :)

redneckincanada

TDI
Was this in the driveway or on the road? I ask because the TDI will produce very little boost unless under load.
There are no factory boost hoses to tap into because all of the existing hoses are part of the vacuum system, run by the vacuum pump.
Drilling and tapping for a fitting somewhere in the air tubing between the turbo and intake manifold is how it's done. :)
That's exactly where I had it...on that one piece of 2-3 inch black plastic tubing between the two 3-4 inch rubber hoses going to the intake from where the map sensor is located. Only has ever read up to 5, maybe 6 psi on my boost gauge.
This is with a Malone stage 1.5 tune with egr delete and a stock turbo.
The line to the boost gauge is really, REALLY thin. Would that do it??
There is absolutely nowhere else I can try?
What size of air line did you run up to the gauge??

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It can be pretty thin... only needs to handle 20 psi or so.

My guess... if you only got to 5-6 psi on the highway.. is that there's a problem with your turbo or a problem with your boost gauge... NOT the plumbing.

If you can find someone with VCDS you can look at the boost electronically. Or find someone to loan you another boost gauge to try?

Name-brand boost gauge or e-Bay special?

redneckincanada

TDI
It can be pretty thin... only needs to handle 20 psi or so.
My guess... if you only got to 5-6 psi on the highway.. is that there's a problem with your turbo or a problem with your boost gauge... NOT the plumbing.
If you can find someone with VCDS you can look at the boost electronically. Or find someone to loan you another boost gauge to try?
Name-brand boost gauge or e-Bay special?
Glo-Shift Boost gauge.
I got VCDS.
Don't think it's the turbo because it sounds pretty good, and pulls really well, but it's possible I guess.
The gauge might be bad. Good idea swapping it out. Never thought of that actually lol

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Maybe an issue with the gauge. Whatever size hose fits on the boost gauge is the right diameter. If your car was only making 5 PSI boost while driving it would be extremely lethargic and you would have a check engine light with some sort of underboost code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk