www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 4th, 2017, 22:40   #1
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52
Default Christmas lights & the NMS

Our local racetrack does a 2 mile long animated light display that you drive threw,( http://winterwonderlandportland.com/ ) requirement is you must drive with only parking lights- no head lights- I couldn't figure it out! They let me go, but with hazards on and the E-brake up one click to disable the DRL's but man, what a mess with the clicking of the hazards and the BEEEEEEEP from the "release parking brake" notification. Can this be fixed in VCDS? How does one drive or even idle with the parking lights on?
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:52   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Ha, that seems like a pretty dumb rule considering just how many cars are cursed with some sort of lame "uncontrollable" exterior lights. It isn't just Volkswagens.

Luckily, you can disable the DRLs with VCDS in the coding of the appropriate module, and if you want normal lights you can purchase a regular (often called European) headlamp switch.

That is how I have all my Volkswagens. Interestingly, I had to deal with this recently myself with my Sprinter, but that has a normal headlamp switch already and the DRLs go out when you turn the switch to the first running light position. Which is good, because its dedicated DRLs are quite bright and up high, and would have been right in the back window of the Accord in front of us going through the display.
Old December 5th, 2017, 14:01   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

You need to install a Euro switch in order to do parking lights only. North American VWs have been like this for nearly two decades. I agree, it's annoying.

Disabling DRLs won't help this particular situation since the requirement is parking lights. Disabling DRLs will either give you all lights, including headlights, or no lights at all.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 21:56   #4
BroncoAZ

So is it just the euro light switch, or does it need to be programmed too?

My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 22:58   #5
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
So is it just the euro light switch, or does it need to be programmed too?
It is just a Euro switch to turn on parking lights without headlights. Turning off DRLs (daytime running lights) requires programming or lifting the parking brake handle a notch.

Have Fun!

Don
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:09   #6
jck66
Veteran Member

Is there such a thing as a euro switch for the NMS? The car wasn't offered in Europe.

I had one on my B4 that did the trick for parking lights only (BTW that car had no "parking brake one notch to shut off DRL" trick - you had to go under the hood and unplug 'em like a man!)
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:14   #7
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
Is there such a thing as a euro switch for the NMS? The car wasn't offered in Europe.
Yes, because the NMS uses a common VAG headlamp switch from the corporate parts bin. Also, they DO sell the NMS Passat in other markets, most of which would get a normal headlamp switch anyway. I bet you can go down the assembly line here and see a few that are for export equipped that way.

The "Euro" moniker may not be the best name, more like "RoW" (Rest of World).
Old December 6th, 2017, 16:27   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post

I had one on my B4 that did the trick for parking lights only (BTW that car had no "parking brake one notch to shut off DRL" trick - you had to go under the hood and unplug 'em like a man!)
Yes. We have one in our Passat. If you switch it to parking lights, the DRLs do not illuminate.

Old December 7th, 2017, 06:28   #9
compu_85
Gadget Guy

With VCDS, you can also put a DRL on/off setting in the "Lights & Vision" MFI menu, and also program the system such that the DRLs only come on when the headlight switch is in Auto.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:26   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

While using the VCDS is a workable albeit very expensive solution if someone does not own one!
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:36   #11
oilhammer

VCDS is hardly what I would call "very expensive".

Would you like to see our shop's expenses for this month for some of our software for other makes?

The Toyota system alone is $1100 every year. Every year. And it will stop working after a year, it isn't like it just won't do updates any more. It stop working.

I am still using the same VCDS cable I bought 15 years ago. Every update has been free.
Old December 7th, 2017, 22:39   #12
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

I have the cable, was my first purchase- I'm home next week so i'll dig in coding and kill the DRL and check out that ROW switch, iv needed parking lights a few times now as I'm also a rural emergency responder and iv had to let it idle in extreme weather with the headlights on- cant shut it down with a weak heater core
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:37   #13
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

jrm:

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Par...dp/B01LZBUJP7/

That's similar to what you're going to need for your Passat, although I would personally be skeptical of the quality of a $15 light switch. We paid about $50 for ours back in 2012, but I don't remember where we bought it from.