www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 5th, 2017, 18:08   #1
two passat man

Fuel Economy: 34
Default Addblue issues

My car is in the shop because it’s dead, won’t start. Addblue countdown went to zero and then red with a wrench under it. It’s done it five times. It usually goes away after 60 Miles. It will stay away for weeks then appear. This time it didn’t go away and now it’s at VW. Tech just called and said the fault is “addblue quality” is VW addblue special? Has anyone ever seen this, because he hasn’t. I have 191,937 Miles on the car and have done the fix and took the money.
Old December 5th, 2017, 21:02   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

DEF is DEF is DEF. Where have you been getting yours from? How have you been filling it? How often? What codes were being thrown?
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:01   #3
two passat man

Dealership has topped it off with oil changes. I normally get the Peak brand from parts store or gas station. Since the emissions work was done my DEF usage has increased. Before I could get 10,000 to 12,000 Miles from a tank. After 5,000 Miles was pushing it. I laughed when he told me that code said “quality” . Once I get the sheet from the dealership I’ll post it.
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:28   #4
Rico567
Veteran Member

This is weird. The only DEF that has gone into our '13 Passat after the three complimentary services has been the generic stuff from Rural King, $6.99 for a 10 quart jug. I just put it in after an oil change, and no worries— so far.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 06:34   #5
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Why did you allow the countdown to go to zero (and how were you able to restart the engine)? Are you regularly draining the tank dry between fillings?
Your first 5 sentences are confusing. Can you clarify?
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:01   #6
Mark_J
Veteran Member

There are a couple of brands of DEF out there. In my 2013 I turned in, I tried a cheaper brand and had this issue. Was told by the shop to not use it and only use the Peak Blue DEF. Supposedly it meets ISO Standards 22241 for purity and composition and is an American Petroleum Institute (API) certified diesel exhaust fluid and the others don't. Haven't verified this myself, but only use the Blue DEF in my 2015 Passat and Ford 6.7 sense without any issues so far.
Mark_J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:07   #7
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

I buy the DEF fluid at large turnover truck stops for about $ 2.30 per gallon. Is VW trying to say that the big rigs use crappy DEF?
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:25   #8
two passat man

Got the call from the dealership. It’s a bad particulate filter, bad Nox cat. He said all sensors were working as intended. Because those 2 things were bad the computer thought the DEF tank was empty or the quality of DEF was in question. I have never run the tank to empty. I drive my car 99% hyway. Shortest trips are 250 Miles, longer ones are 750 plus. I have many times spilled DEF because it showed the fill bottle. If you ever get a fill bottle with a wrench, your car needs to go to a dealership or shop. All the work will be covered under the emissions extended warranty. I guess 192,000 these things might go bad.
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:43   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Thats some good miles, at least you had the warranty. Imagine a delete would be in my future if i was pushing 190K and was looking to shell out the cash to keep it in spec.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 12:03   #10
Mark_J
Veteran Member

People get the weirdest ideas from what we say here. So Jetta_Pilot , did anyone, including me, say truck stops sell crappy DEF fluid, no I did not. As I said I "Haven't verified this myself". Also buying it at a truck stop for $2.30 per gallon is cheaper than buying the 2.5 gallon jug at the store. Might have to check it out because it is about half the store price for 2.5 gallons..
Old December 8th, 2017, 12:19   #11
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Mark J
I never even quoted nor mentioned you in my post. I did refer to VW though.

As for buying at the truck stop you need to bring your own CLEAN container.
Someone on the TDI club claims he uses the pump straight int the tank. I don't think I'm the only one who gets little spills regardless of how careful you are. I use plastic bags to minimize any spills.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Old December 8th, 2017, 12:42   #12
Mark_J
Veteran Member

Thanks and my apologies, have the Peak jugs so definitely going to ck this out. Thanks
Old December 8th, 2017, 18:53   #13
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Mark J
I never even quoted nor mentioned you in my post. I did refer to VW though.

As for buying at the truck stop you need to bring your own CLEAN container.
Someone on the TDI club claims he uses the pump straight int the tank. I don't think I'm the only one who gets little spills regardless of how careful you are. I use plastic bags to minimize any spills.
When I was ready to start filling my own DEF tank, I found a deal on the M-B 10 liter jug and special hose. I just refill the jug, hook up the hose and elevate it above the DEF tank in the car. In a few minutes it has emptied, and not a drop spilled.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 19:31   #14
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Refilling the OEM VW "Kruze" bottle is also drip free. A bit inconvenient, but virtually spill-proof.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 16:00   #15
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Refilling the OEM VW "Kruze" bottle is also drip free. A bit inconvenient, but virtually spill-proof.
I use the "Kruze" bottle with the bottom cut off to create a funnel. Then I refill it while screwed in place using a 2 quart plastic bottle. This way it is quite easy to do and I know how much I'm adding.