www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Motorsports

TDI Motorsports This section is dedicated to the folks who push the TDI to the absolute limit racing. Topics should include articles about TDIs in the SCCA ProRally Series, Drag Racing, AutoCross and any other events that include TDIs.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 17:48   #1
shepner
Veteran Member

Default Autocross in SE Wisconsin

So who all in the general vicinity of Milwaukee would be interested in racing their TDIs? Im now on my 2nd season of Solo autocross and can provide some assistance in getting started. Plus, Id kinda like to not be the only diesel on the track.

If it helps, the next event is on June 25.

stephen
shepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 20:53   #2
travis45
Veteran Member

Hey, I was the only diesel at Road America a few weeks ago for auto cross!

My first time, was super fun. I'm hooked. Seems like the TDI could be pretty competitive with a lsd and the right tires.

There was a 2016 Golf R there and I thought he'd kick my butt bad, but his best lap was only about a half second faster than mine.

Need more.... let me know for the next one. Would be great to have a TDI bunch there.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar. SOLD -96 Passat TDI 16" wheels, Custom grease kit, Evry Mod, Mufflerectomy, Bilstein TC's, TT lower rear control arm bushings.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 21:54   #3
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Who sponsored the RA Autocross? Was it on the kart track?
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:41   #4
shepner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis45 View Post
Need more.... let me know for the next one. Would be great to have a TDI bunch there.
Wish you posted that a week ago. This last weekend was the last of the MCSCC HSAX races for the season. The last of the Milwaukee SCCA Solo events is coming up in a couple weeks. If you are willing to drive a bit, MotorsportReg lists events from all over.

stephen
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:31   #5
travis45
Veteran Member

Was the Fox Valley Sports Car Club.... I think. Yup, on the kart track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
Who sponsored the RA Autocross? Was it on the kart track?
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar. SOLD -96 Passat TDI 16" wheels, Custom grease kit, Evry Mod, Mufflerectomy, Bilstein TC's, TT lower rear control arm bushings.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 05:51   #6
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

I used to run with them and Madison. Madison runs a diverse and really fun series, check them out next year.

http://www.madisonsportscarclub.com/node/81
Old October 11th, 2017, 07:27   #7
shepner
Veteran Member

Be sure to watch for the drivers schools at the beginning of the season. I found them to be really helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis45 View Post
Seems like the TDI could be pretty competitive with a lsd and the right tires.
yes and no My Golf MK7 is (now) stock and so is in the HS class (the lowest) for Solo and DS (not the lowest) in MCSCC which is HSAX. When I race in the Solo events, I am competing against the Fiesta ST, at MCSCC, the Fiesta ST is in a higher class. A Chevy Volt is in the same class for both. My times are generally a good bit better then the Volt, and a bit worse then the Fiesta ST. I find that my raw times in Solo with Bridgestone RE-71R tires are pretty comparable to another guy with similar experience, a '15 GTI (GS class) and lesser tires. The guy racing a '15 GTI (also GS class) in Pro and the same tires as me is generally running ~6-8sec faster then me depending on the course.
The stock MK7 Golf TDI has wonderful torque (duh) which will really let you accelerate out of the corners and the power is there when you need/want it. The MK7 has a lighter and stiffer body which helps as well. It does not, however, have any useful adjustments for the suspension (I want camber!), it has a torsion beam in the rear, and you basically have no power to speak of above 3500RPM. That last one isnt so much of a problem in Solo but became more of an issue in HSAX as the season wore on.
You may have noted at the beginning of this that I alluded that my car wasnt in the stock class at one point. Last year I had lowering springs which looked nice but bumped it up a class and didnt really do anything for performance. That put me in a class that, if I wanted to even keep up, I would have to put some serious money into the car. And even then I wouldnt really expect to win. Because of that, I put it back to stock.
Since Ive been asked a few times, here is the full list of racing stuff Ive done:
Bridgestone RE-71R tires (great for Solo, not so good for HSAX)
17x7.5 Enkei Tuning Fujin rims (+5mm offset; lightest rim Tire Rack listed)
Aluminum adapters for the Fujin rims (the original plastic ones lasted 2 races)
Wheel studs with ball seats
Bilstein B6
heavy duty strut mounts
Frozen Rotors
G-LOC R8 brake pads
Castrol SRF
TyrolSport Deadset Subframe Kit
Neuspeed rear sway bar
stephen